Coconut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone tried Creamy Coconut from Scent Works? It has the fewest other fragrance notes in it's description and I'm sure it'll go dark brown. I'm ordering a sample.

BakingNana said:
Anyone tried Creamy Coconut from Scent Works? It has the fewest other fragrance notes in it's description and I'm sure it'll go dark brown. I'm ordering a sample.

I've used it in a couple of batches. With TD @ 1 tsp. ppo it discolors only to a light tan/beige for me. As for the scent- well..... it has a very distinctive minty undertone to it. When first unmolded it smells like vanilla/mint to me, but then the minty component fades after a month or so, and the final scent smells somewhat like a pina colada, but quite faint- as is usual with all coconut scents I've tried (the faintness, that is).

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
BakingNana said:

I've used it in a couple of batches. With TD @ 1 tsp. ppo it discolors only to a light tan/beige for me. As for the scent- well..... it has a very distinctive minty undertone to it. When first unmolded it smells like vanilla/mint to me, but then the minty component fades after a month or so, and the final scent smells somewhat like a pina colada, but quite faint- as is usual with all coconut scents I've tried (the faintness, that is).

IrishLass :)

Thanks. I'm glad I waited to hear before I placed an order. Makes me mad that I used a sample bottle of Peak's Coconut Milk in a blend instead of trying it straight. Sounds like it's the way to go.

judymoody said:
The best I've found is Peak Coconut Milk. Not perfect but better than most and the scent lasts forever. I have some bars over a year old that are still fragrant.

Believe it or not Camden Grey's is pretty good but it's more of a sweet, sun tan lotion kind of coconut.

I agree. Peak's coconut milk is the best I've found. It doesn't go dark and the scent stays around pretty well.

judymoody said:
Maythorn said:
Judy, does Peak's Coconut Milk go real dark?

It does not. It discolors to a light beige only.

Hmmm, neat-o. I like tan soaps. I guess if a coconut scent colored very dark you could call it Black Coconut. Though what is "black," coconut? It sounds delicious, at any rate! :D

I keep checking this thread to see if there are any new developments, LOL because I've also been on a mission to find that one true, sweet coconut fragrance that just doesn't seem to exist. But I think I will give the coconut milk from peak a try (thanks Judymoody) Maybe someday they will create a fo that smells like that yummy coconut milk shampoo and conditioner by organix...Mmmmmmm!

I do not have much experience with FO, but did use Coconut Milk from Peak. I used fairly basic oils and coconut milk. Being new, I freaked out when my coconut milk practically solidified when I added the lye so I HP'd it. Then, due to my horrendous coloring issues (now know how to correctly add powdered colorants :oops:), I rebatched the whole thing.

The soap is now about 3 months old and I really like it. The scent is strong and reminds me of a rice and milk snack my mom used to make. HTH

agriffin said:
judymoody said:
The best I've found is Peak Coconut Milk. Not perfect but better than most and the scent lasts forever. I have some bars over a year old that are still fragrant.

Believe it or not Camden Grey's is pretty good but it's more of a sweet, sun tan lotion kind of coconut.

I agree. Peak's coconut milk is the best I've found. It doesn't go dark and the scent stays around pretty well.

Just recieved my coconut milk fo from PEAK and it smells VERY promising oob...can't hardly wait to soap with it. Ugh fine time to be out of coconut milk. LOL! I'll let you all know how it turns out. :wink:

Soapy Gurl said:
Day-Star says theirs has no plastic funky notes. Has anyone tried it?

We tried DayStar's Coconut yesterday and got a mold full of separated mess. I had read that it was a good one?????? Carole

Eww, sorry to hear that. I got some coconut milk and used my "coconut milk" fo from Peak. It's been over a month's cure and it still smells nice. It's not exactly the sweet coconut fragrance I've been looking for, but it's the best one yet, and I imagine it would be great to blend with other scents. And even though it came to a full gel it didn't get real dark, it is tan, but that is to be expected. I'm glad I read this thread and gave it a try. :)

That sucks Carole. I just bought some too. I was really excited to make it for a friend. Well now I know I need to be really really careful.[/img]

I started this thread a while ago after a lot of frustration and let me tell you, I have since tried A LOT of fragrance oils! Some have worked out better than others and I thank all of you for the advice and conversation! Has anyone tried Mountain Ocean's Skin Trip soap?
http://www.mountainocean.com/skin_trip_soap.html

I came across it this weekend at Whole Foods (I believe it is nationally distributed so you should be able to find it near you if you have a WF). It is by far the most true coconut scent I could imagine. Creamy and fresh without the chemical vibe most fragrances throw off. I did a lot of snooping around but apparently their oil is their exclusive thing so it doesnt help our pursuits much!

I haven't tried this Peak Coconut Milk yet. Would be curious how similar it is to the Skip Trip bar since the description of it on fragrance oil finder stresses how its creamy. Can anyone comment on how well it does stand up on its own? Seems like some of the best bars Ive seen out there mix coconut with vanilla to give it that hint of sweetness.

bugtussle said:
Soapy Gurl said:
Day-Star says theirs has no plastic funky notes. Has anyone tried it?

We tried DayStar's Coconut yesterday and got a mold full of separated mess. I had read that it was a good one?????? Carole

We rebatched/hp'd the separated batch and 1 week later. the scent is really good. We used Van Stab and the soap is a beautiful off-white. I'll update if anything changes. Carole

Ahhh the never ending quest for the perfect coconut scent! I have surrendered to the FO but the one I have from Bee Beautiful (UK Supplier) is nice... it does have the sharp plastic smell but I want t a little bit of this bite but I need to sweeten it out, again it's going to be FO with it as Vanilla is another fragrance that kills off in CP process as you know.

My question is... does anyone have any ideas or experiencing on sweetning/spicing their coconut FO up? If so what did you use?

Coffee? (another fragrance that doesn't work naturally! Arrrrghhh!)

Vanilla?

Nutmeg?

Chocolate?

Can you see my angle here?

Hellllllllp!
:shock:

I use Coconut Extreme from Just Scent. It's a STRONG, amazingly fresh coconut scent that smells just like you would imagine it to!
I am VERY picky about my coconut scents!!!
Use it alone or do as I do.. I mix it with Becky's Ultimate Vanilla (also from Just Scent and an amazing vanilla by itself!) and it's transformed into the yummiest, creamiest, truest coconut-vanilla scent I've ever tried!
Their prices are pretty fair and 1oz sample sizes are $2.75. I get a lot of my scents from them!

Coconut Extreme http://www.justscent.com/cgi-justsc...conut+extreme&add+to+cart.x=0&add+to+cart.y=0
Becky's Ultimate Vanilla http://www.justscent.com/cgi-justsc...IMATE+Vanilla&add+to+cart.x=0&add+to+cart.y=0
1oz Sample Quick Order http://www.justscent.com/samples.html

My #1 seller is Tropical Elements from Moonworks.
Geat in lotion and soap.

chris

Mrs Capa said:
Ahhh the never ending quest for the perfect coconut scent! I have surrendered to the FO but the one I have from Bee Beautiful (UK Supplier) is nice... it does have the sharp plastic smell but I want t a little bit of this bite but I need to sweeten it out, again it's going to be FO with it as Vanilla is another fragrance that kills off in CP process as you know.

My question is... does anyone have any ideas or experiencing on sweetning/spicing their coconut FO up? If so what did you use?

Coffee? (another fragrance that doesn't work naturally! Arrrrghhh!)

Vanilla?

Nutmeg?

Chocolate?

I l

Can you see my angle here?

Hellllllllp!
:shock:

Latest posts

Back