Coconut oil - where buy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my coconut oil from soapers choice and I am not happy. It is 62 F at my house and oil is in liquid, not hard.. I ordered coconut oil 76. Also it smells like machinery and has bright yellow color. OMG... What I got? After BB it looks like a bucket of junk.
Your oil very well could have melted in transportation, since you are quite a distance from Soapers Choice. Sometimes during summer it is better to order the 92º CO so there is less chance of melting. When my CO melts in the summer in my 5lb buckets it will be quite yellow but white when solidified. Soapers Choice carries high-quality oils although I do not purchase CO from them. I am lucky to have a supplier within a reasonable driving distance but I do purchase other oils from Soapers Choice.

I got mine from amazon. Its the second time i ordered it. Free shipping.

Attachments

• 056B7F9A-2BF5-4A09-BC0B-B3DD471E8BD9.png
    056B7F9A-2BF5-4A09-BC0B-B3DD471E8BD9.png
    684.1 KB · Views: 16
I got my coconut oil from soapers choice and I am not happy. It is 62 F at my house and oil is in liquid, not hard.. I ordered coconut oil 76. Also it smells like machinery and has bright yellow color. OMG... What I got? After BB it looks like a bucket of junk.

Mine is yellowish when liquid. I actually put my bucket outside when it's hot to melt it down when it's about half gone. I then put it in smaller containers. I've never noticed an off smell. I would contact them. I don't order my CO when it's hot out. I generally order 50 lbs in the early late fall early spring though their buckets are well sealed.

Some places to check are Costco, Big Lots, and Walmart. By signing up for the Big Lots website coupon, and then ordering online for in-person pickup, their price is usually lowest for me.

Some people have luck at local restaurant supply stores.The ones near me don’t carry it in stock, and their price to order it is pretty high. But it might be worth checking in your area.
I’ve bought my coconut oil at Costco.

After I used my coconut oil I can say that it is junk :( I do not remember who recommended this company to buy oil from please, do not recommend it to anyone. It is junk. After using BB oil I could see difference. I will return....

After I used my coconut oil I can say that it is junk :( I do not remember who recommended this company to buy oil from please, do not recommend it to anyone. It is junk. After using BB oil I could see difference. I will return....
Please do not say Soapers Choice sells junk because they absolutely do not and I have to ask how long have you actually been making soap? Soapers Choice is a very reliable supplier of oils whose parent company is Columbus Vegetable Oils. So please do not bash them. Who knows they very well could supply Brambleberry since BB buys from wholesalers. Please consider who you are bashing. BB is no saint vendor, you can take that to the bank.

I got mine from amazon. Its the second time i ordered it. Free shipping.
This is the one that Costco used to carry for $14.99. I moved across several states, so I don’t know if they quit carrying it altogether, or if it is only in certain Costcos. Fantastic price, and the empty buckets are great for soaping, too.

I agree with @cmzaha. I have quite a few products from Soaper's Choice and some of them have been around for over a year and are still of high quality. I have no doubt that it you took pictures of the Coconut Oil and contacted Customer Service, they would be more than happy to help you out.

It is NOT unreasonable given the temperatures and distance, that you CO would arrive melted and discolored. Even Cocoa Butter turns soft this time of year.

Also, did you purchase the Coconut Oil 76 or the Coconut Oil EV Organic? I only asked because the 76 is refined, bleached, and deodorized and the EV Organic is not.

I get several of my bulk oils from Soapers Choice including the 50lb bucket of CO I bought in March. I had no issues with the quality with about 1/3 left at this point. Also no issues soaping with any other oils or butters I have bought from them. It was solid when it arrived as it was cold where I live in March. Soapers Choice from my experience sells quality oils and has impeccable customer service. Contact them and let them know your concerns.

BB is no saint vendor, you can take that to the bank.

I had great luck with BB when I first started ordering from them and the customer service was excellent. And while I understand that CV-19 has affected a lot of folks, it's gotten to be extremely frustrating with their order processing/shipping times. It used to be a week, now it's closer to three weeks. I would be willing to make the 10 hour round-trip drive...I'll slow down with the trunk lid open and they can just toss it in. LOL

I've already found alternative suppliers for all my base ingredients and a lot of my additives...now if I could just find suitable replacements for some of their fragrances that my customers adore...it would be okay. But until that happens, if it does...I just know to watch my inventory levels closely.

Mine is yellowish when liquid. I actually put my bucket outside when it's hot to melt it down when it's about half gone. I then put it in smaller containers. I've never noticed an off smell. I would contact them. I don't order my CO when it's hot out. I generally order 50 lbs in the early late fall early spring though their buckets are well sealed.

Shunt2011, Do you melt your CO before weighing for a recipe? I thought I was supposed to melt it like regular palm oil (not no-stir). Even after I decant to smaller containers, if they've solidified I remelt the smaller container before I measure what I need. I always wondered how people handle the bulk sizes.

Shunt2011, Do you melt your CO before weighing for a recipe? I thought I was supposed to melt it like regular palm oil (not no-stir). Even after I decant to smaller containers, if they've solidified I remelt the smaller container before I measure what I need. I always wondered how people handle the bulk sizes.
No, not generally. Only when it’s down in the bucket and if it’s summer I’ll set it outside to melt to transfer t o something smaller. Otherwise I just scoop and weigh.

That's odd. Contact Soapers Choice. I've been buying from them for 15 years. Never had a problem. I'm sure they will do what they can to make it right.

Not @shunt2011, but the reason for melting Palm Oil is because the Steric Acid settles to the bottom as it solidifies. Fortunately with the warmer temps, my PO is more like a slurry so I just give it it a really good stir from the bottom up. The only reason to melt Coconut Oil is if you can’t scoop it out of the container, like the bags that BB packages it in.

As for bulk sizes...I had the nightmare of melting a 35 lb bucket. And it was a nightmare because I did it the hard way. What I should have done was 1) wrap the bucket in a heating pad, melt it to a slurry, stir and dispense into gallon freezer bags and/or smaller Dollar Store containers. Or 2) melt two pots of oil on the stove and then poured back into the bucket and let the residual heat melt the rest and then stir and dispense.

I just picked up a 5 lb bucket of ‘no-stir’ PO, going to test it tomorrow.

I absolutely hate it during the summer when my 35# bucket of CO melts which it always does. It is just so messy to scoop out liquid CO, and I do not have the storage room nor the patience to repackage 5 gallons of CO into smaller containers, as it is I have to break down my 50# boxes of lard, palm shortening and tallow into 5 gallon buckets, that is enough breaking down for me.

I absolutely hate it during the summer when my 35# bucket of CO melts which it always does. It is just so messy to scoop out liquid CO, and I do not have the storage room nor the patience to repackage 5 gallons of CO into smaller containers, as it is I have to break down my 50# boxes of lard, palm shortening and tallow into 5 gallon buckets, that is enough breaking down for me.

Yeah...my PO and CO is like a slurry right now and no matter how careful I am at ladling out, it's still a mess.

Thank you @shunt2011 and @TheGecko, this is such good news. All this time I've been melting and decanting the CO too. This is going to make life a lot easier!
I haven't purchased a bulk size yet and I do imagine it's a pain to melt. The small bucket is bad enough. A couple of weeks ago, I made a master batch (just enough for a few loaves) and I had to melt the CO and the PO. I didn't think the PO was ever going to melt - even in the Florida heat! I made the mistake of putting the master batch in a container that wouldn't fit in my microwave so each time I made a batch of soap I had that to contend with all over again! It's so painful learning sometimes, but I guess the pain helps the lessons stick!

A couple of weeks ago, I made a master batch (just enough for a few loaves) and I had to melt the CO and the PO. I didn't think the PO was ever going to melt - even in the Florida heat! I made the mistake of putting the master batch in a container that wouldn't fit in my microwave so each time I made a batch of soap I had that to contend with all over again! It's so painful learning sometimes, but I guess the pain helps the lessons stick!

I'm master batching in Oregon and I haven't had to reheat and I'm using 60% hard oils (Coconut and Palm Oils, and Cocoa and Shea Butters).

I've also taken to melting my hard oils on the stove instead of the microwave...I find that they melt a LOT faster. I start with a medium heat and then once the Cocoa Butter is halfway melts, I turn it off and the residual heat does the rest. I then pour into the 5 gallon bucket when I have already measured out my Olive and Castor Oils. Then when I'm ready to make soap, I have a long handled ladle and give the bucket a really good stir. I figured out that the ladle holds about 3.25 oz not quite full and simple scoops how many ladles I need then weigh the contents. We currently keep the house somewhere between 75-80F.

Winter time may prove more interesting as we keep it between 60-75F...may have to get 1 gallon buckets.

Latest posts

Back