Coconut oil substitute?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellagirl

Reaction score
What can I substitute coconut oil with and get the same basic results?
Someone said palm kernel flakes..yes, no?
I've been trying to use the soap calculator, I feel like I'm back in algebra class...which by the way...I failed!
Thanks for your comments.
I want to use olive oil, Shea butter and mango butter...
Got a good 5# recipe?
Thanks again!:-?

I substituted lard the other day and apart from having to mask the smell cos its nasty smelling when melted it seemed to go ok!

I'd say palm kernel oil or babassu oil if you're trying to keep away from animal derived oils ^^

Lard gives a creamier, less stripping soap than coconut does. The next closest to coconut is PKO then babassu. PKO is the middleman, pricewise, with Babassu being the most expensive.

Lard is chemically more similar to palm oil than coconut or PKO.

PKO is only slightly more expensive than coconut if you buy from Columbus Foods.

Which lye calculator are you using? soapcalc.net is easy peasy - plug in your oils, it spits out your water and lye amounts. No algebra required.

Lard is chemically more similar to palm oil than coconut or PKO.

PKO is only slightly more expensive than coconut if you buy from Columbus Foods.

Which lye calculator are you using? soapcalc.net is easy peasy - plug in your oils, it spits out your water and lye amounts. No algebra required.

I finally understand soapcalc! Yay! (I can't belive it confused me so much!)

I finally understand soapcalc! Yay! (I can't belive it confused me so much!)

Trust me, I didn't get SoapCalc at first either. It was just so bizarre to me, it was like trying to read ancient Greek while on fire. I mean, I'd be on fire, not the words. Or something. *

Anyway it was painful.

*not good at analogies

Trust me, I didn't get SoapCalc at first either. It was just so bizarre to me, it was like trying to read ancient Greek while on fire. I mean, I'd be on fire, not the words. Or something. *

Anyway it was painful.

*not good at analogies
I've been using brambleberry for my recipies, but I finally sat down and watched multiple youtube videos on it. Thank goodness for technology gryfonmoon!

I loved the analogy

Latest posts

Back