coconut oil soap guide plz

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For moisturizing you cant beat lard. More than 5% castor oil might make the bar sticky. A favorite recipe floating around here is:
Lard 65%
Olive oil (or rice bran oil, or sweet almond oil) 10%
Coconut oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

For moisturizing you cant beat lard. More than 5% castor oil might make the bar sticky. A favorite recipe floating around here is:
Lard 65%
Olive oil (or rice bran oil, or sweet almond oil) 10%
Coconut oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%
then it wouldn't be a 100% coconut soap ?:eh:

Sesame oil goes rancid super fast. Don't use that for soap.

I can't use over 20% CO in soap. I hated my 100% CO with 20% SF soap. Both the salt and the non-salt bars. Just too drying for me.

I am staying out of the rest of the discussion because of this. However, I am going to second the high lard recipe idea. It will be creamy and wonderful for winter.

Last edited:
"...then it wouldn't be a 100% coconut soap ?..."

That is correct -- Seawolfe's suggested recipe would not be a coconut oil soap. But you also asked "...what about creamy and conditioning property?..." If you want only 100% coconut oil in the soap, there is no way you can change those properties. You need other fats in this recipe to add those properties.

One thing I have been wondering about -- Are you expecting a coconut oil SOAP to have the same benefits that coconut OIL has? If so, you are mistaken. Coconut oil SOAP is very drying and harsh.

Castor oil is good for adding bubbles. The "rule" is 5%. More than that can make your soap sticky.

If you want to render animal fat, it's not hard - get your butcher to grind the fat for you, it makes a HUGE difference!

Here's what I do - this is a method described by Lionprincess on this site. It's not super precise, but it works for me.

You will need:
Ground fat 5 lbs (2 kilos) is a good starting amoung
Water (enough so the fat floats a bit)
2 Pots (water + fat should fill 1/2 of pot)
Salt
Baking soda
Something to strain - this can be a mesh pasta strainer, cheese cloth - make sure it can stand up to high heat.
You will be pouring the hot water and hot melted fat into the 2nd pot through the strainer, so you need to secure it somehow. I use clothespins.

Mix fat, water, 1/4 c salt and 3 T baking soda. These measurements are not super precise - if you have a bit less fat, use a bit less, if you have a bit more, use more. Boil, uncovered, until the fat has melted and separated from connective tissue. Pour through strainer. Let the pot reach room temperature, then put it in the fridge. This gives the water and fat time to fully separate. In the fridge, the fat will harden into a cake that is easy to lift from the water. Discard water. Repeat process with clean water. You don't need to strain again, but you will use salt and baking soda again. Some people do this a third time. You want the water to be clear, with no hint of brown an no hint of meatiness. The fat should be pure white.

"...then it wouldn't be a 100% coconut soap ?..."

That is correct -- Seawolfe's suggested recipe would not be a coconut oil soap. But you also asked "...what about creamy and conditioning property?..." If you want only 100% coconut oil in the soap, there is no way you can change those properties. You need other fats in this recipe to add those properties.

One thing I have been wondering about -- Are you expecting a coconut oil SOAP to have the same benefits that coconut OIL has? If so, you are mistaken. Coconut oil SOAP is very drying and harsh.

conclusion of the thread .Hats off to you.Yes you are right I was expecting the same :clap: :clap:

"

DeeAnna is very right umeali, a 100% CO soap would be unusable for me. Even at a much, much lower %, CO is terribly drying to my skin in soap. I use it a maximum of 18%, usually lower. The rule of thumb that you generally see here - unless you know that you (or whoever else is using it) are OK w/higher amounts of CO is to try it at 20%.

I love CO in body oils (there I use fractionated CO, which you should *not* use in CP), which has the scent taken out, and add my own. That is lovely and not drying on my skin, unlike the CO in soap.

ETA: just saw your post, you got it!

Also, I really would try SeaWolfe's recipe when you get some lard rendered, that will make a very nice bar of soap. You could substitute sunflower for the olive/almond part of the mix as well. Regarding the rendering, ask the butcher to make sure it is all of one kind or another (pig fat/lard or beef fat/tallow). I know that when I have lived in other countries it seems like it sometimes all get thrown into a big pile.

As Dixie said, w/castor, it does not really increase the creaminess/moisturizing factors, it works to stabilize the lather created by the other oils.

Also, w/olive oil, we get different types in the States, not sure if it is the same there. One type, pomace, makes your soap trace faster. I'm not sure if you are doing swirls yet, but the first time you use your coconut (if you don't know which type it is) you might want to do a one-color soap to see how fast it traces so that you can plan future designs accordingly.

Last edited:
Umeali - I posted that recipe in response to your quote below. There is no way a 100% coconut oil soap will do what you ask for here.

Every one is replying in such a detailed way to explain and help me but can someone tell me anything to make a leathery ,moisturizing soft soap for winter and dry season ?Will caster oil increase the creamy property of soap?

Latest posts

Back