Coconut oil soap + aloe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauratryingsoap

Reaction score
Hi! I am a complete beginner at soapmaking but I've already got a few batches down and they are absolutely fabulous. I really want to try a 100% coconut oil soap and I've seen many people use 20% superfat. I'm just concerned that this will affect the lather of the soap, the hardness as well as DOS. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Ooh and does the scent of the coconut oil last through the saponification? I really don't want to add any fragrances but a hint of coconut would be nice. Also, how do you use fresh aloe? I have been growing aloe for a few years now and I really want to put it in. But does it discolour or change the composition of the soap?
(side note: how do you reply so someone else's comment? I've been trying and it just doesn't seem to work :( )

CO soap itself is so bubbly that the 20% lye discount / Superfat really doesn't disturb. It'll still be really bubbly. CO soap is also hard physically and isn't prone to DOS.

I specify "hard physically" because CO soaps bubble so well due to how quickly the soap mixes with the water. This can result in the bars not lasting as long as other types of soap when used.

If you make 100% coconut oil soap, you really do want to use 20% SF. Otherwise it will be so drying, it may be unusable. I've made this a number of times and I do quite like it, lathers like crazy but doesn't last long due to the reasons The Efficacious Gentleman mentioned.

The coconut scent will not survive saponification and finding a good artificial coconut is nearly impossible not to mention they all turn dark brown.

I have used fresh aloe in soap and like it. I don't remember if it changes the color at all. Don't use the skin, just the gel inside. I blend the gel with a tiny bit of water then strain out any chunks.

Latest posts

Back