Coconut milk instead of GM

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreapima2

Reaction score
I have a quick question. Can you sub coconut milk for GM using the same recipe if the milk fat of both are equal?
The GM I normally use is 7 grams of fat, the canned coconut milk I bought is also 7 grams fat. This is the recipe I ran thru soap calc.

CO 7.5 oz
PO 5.5 oz
OO 7.5 oz
Soy Oil 3.0 oz
Water 8.93 oz
lye 3.4 oz

I plan on using half the water to dissolve lye and the other half of the water will be substituted with Coconut Milk (instead of GM) to go into the oils.

I also plan on adding Peak's coconut milk f/o .5 oz per pound. This recipe should make approximately 2 lbs of soap.

I am hoping that between the coconut milk and the coconut f/o that this will have a wonderful coconut scent. Peak's f/o's seem pretty strong which is why I am using 1/2 of what I normally would use in a recipe.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Just a word of caution - FWIW - I think people here are still looking for a good coconut FO. I have 2 that were supposed to be great and neither one smells like coconut in the finished soap. Great in the bottle - but they go to a plasticy scent when soaped. Just thought I'd mention that -

I made coconut candles for a wedding and here 8 yrs. later they still smell great!! (I had some left over) I only wish I could get a good coconut soap to go with them .... but that scent isn't soap proof, and the 2 that I have used did not hold up. So ... good luck! Maybe you'll hit on the exception to the rule.

Yes- you can sub the coconut milk for the GM- even if the fat amounts aren't equal.

As for the coconut FO- SoapLady is right. It's hard to find a good one that will hold up strong in CP and actually smell true. All the coconut scents I have used barely stick even when soaped at 1 oz ppo. Let us know how the Peak's holds up! I've heard from others that it's one of the better coconut scents out there, although light in CP. I don't know how much those soapers used, though.

IrishLass :)

Thank you for your advice on both the f/o and the coconut milk usage.

Someone had posted a link to a f/o site a few times. I did sign up on their site too, but since then my computer died and I don't remember the password and log in I used! LOL You would think in my old age I would write this stuff down :)

Anyways on this site they stated there was a particular coconut that worked well in cp, it was "Bahama Coconut" or something along those lines, they stated that it stayed well in CP and it smelled like Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion.

I can't remember the site of the f/o company either.

I believe it was Judy Moody that posted a spreadsheet on all the different Peak scents that she and others tried, and according to the spread sheet the Coconut Milk f/o from Peak "Scent not very strong at first but became more prominent after curing for a week. .5 PPO, could have gone higher. Nice, not like suntan lotion."

I am thinking I will start off with .5 oz. If the scent is not strong enough to my liking I will add a full oz instead. I so want coconut scented soap without having to buy one from the store.
After making my own soap and feeling the difference between it and commercial soap, I never want to go back to commercial soap.

Latest posts

Back