Coconut in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeitsashley

Reaction score
I got a request to make soap using a whole coconut and I was just wondering if anyone has done so? I am worried about the soap going rancid and just not being very good overall.

Are you planning on rendering the oil to use or grating up the flesh or using the coconut water?

You might find this interesting: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiA1wtqYQ80[/ame]

I don't know if I would put the actual meat in the soap. But you could use the milk and shred the coconut and soak it in the milk. Then strain the flesh out so you don't have scratchy soap. For the shell, get some activated charcoal made from coconut shell unless you want to attempt making it yourself. Also, I might use virgin coconut oil in the soap. Summer Bee Meadow has the SAP value for virgin coconut oil.

I ran across this... extracting oil from a coconut.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF3JDV0_cBA[/ame]

I don't know if I would put the actual meat in the soap. But you could use the milk and shred the coconut and soak it in the milk. Then strain the flesh out so you don't have scratchy soap. For the shell, get some activated charcoal made from coconut shell unless you want to attempt making it yourself. Also, I might use virgin coconut oil in the soap. Summer Bee Meadow has the SAP value for virgin coconut oil.
Thanks CandyBee that's a great idea!

I have used coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut fiber, and activated coconut shell charcoal in a soap. Coconut fiber( obtained when milk is freshly extracted from coconut) acts as a scrub and the soap came through fine. So have fun with your project!

I have used coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut fiber, and activated coconut shell charcoal in a soap. Coconut fiber( obtained when milk is freshly extracted from coconut) acts as a scrub and the soap came through fine. So have fun with your project!
Thank you Sabon! That is just what I was looking for! Did you dry the coconut fiber before you used it?

Back