Coconut cooking oil for soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meltiongson

Reaction score
Is it ok to use coconut cooking oil for soap? I want to experiment into some soap mold on which will gonna work when i use it since im going to use plastic mold (tupperware type). I just want to use a simple recipe of 100% coconut to try for those molds.
The label says "premium coconut oil" and "lauric oil". The ingredients says refined, bleached and deodorized coconut oil and vitamin a.

This coconut oil is for cooking purposes but can i still use it for soap? I usually buy virgin coconut oil for my soaps but since we have this kind of cooking oil in our kitchen and this is just going to be an experiment for my soap molds and still want to use the soap after the experiment.

I always use coconut cooking oil and fractionated will be a liquid when its at room temp instead of solid.

Is it warm were you are? My coconut oil is liquid in the summer. Fractionated coconut oil is generally sold for making cosmetics. As far as I know, the stuff sold in stores will be the 76* kind.

Yes its warm here, i live in a tropical country. The color is clear with slightly yellow.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

So i guess it fractionated afterall :) can i still use it for body since its a 100% coconut oil? I've run it in lye calculator and the result is way too far from 76 deg coconut oil. Is it still ok to use for body or not at all.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

So i guess it fractionated afterall :) can i still use it for body since its a 100% coconut oil?
Sure. It's more defatting (i.e. grease-cutting) than other soaps, but lots of people tolerate it as evidenced by the success of the Kirk's brand and the song "Coconut Soap". Doesn't mean everyone will, of course.

This is one of those things where it's all subjective and you'll have some users swearing that a particular all-coconut or high-coconut soap is milder than other soaps they've used that are objectively less defatting.

I buy food-grade coconut oil. In fact most of my oils are food grade. If it's been fractionated, it will state that on the label. Very different than regular coconut oil.

Put a little in your refrigerator. If it turns solid, its the normal kind of coconut oil. If it stays liquid, it is fractionated.

Back