Cocoa Butter & Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum! Depends on what you are looking for as not sure what exactly you want to know. You can add any fragrance to a CB soap. What is your concern with adding it? Coconuts do have a habit of not sticking around well or morphing. Can also cause some acceleration.

I’m mostly worried that the scent of the cocoa butter will not mix well with the scent of the coconut fragrance. I’ve made cocoa butter soaps in the past with citrus fragrances and essential oils, but never a coconut one.

I've never found the cocoa butter to survive the curing as anything more than the subtlest of hints - too faint to identify, but something slightly more than the nothing of a truly unscented bar. I think that ANY dedicated fragrance will overtake it absolutely completely, so feel free to use whatever you want.

I agree with BrewerGeorge. I've wanted the cocoa butter scent to stick around, but it just doesn't. At least not to any degree that would affect your FO.

I make a double butter soap where the cocoa butter (chocolate) smell lasts for months after cure is complete. The only additives are ground cacao nibs (which probably adds to the enduring chocolate smell) and turmeric powder. This soap is very creamy and not really bubbly; however, I have several women who love it.

I make a double butter soap where the cocoa butter (chocolate) smell lasts for months after cure is complete. The only additives are ground cacao nibs (which probably adds to the enduring chocolate smell) and turmeric powder. This soap is very creamy and not really bubbly; however, I have several women who love it.
It's the cocoa nibs. ;)

Maybe it depends on your cocoa butter? I use it at 5% and people tell me my unscented soap smells like chocolate (before they even read the label). I've also noticed it when working with my soap dough, but can't remember the percentage off the top of my head. For my scented soaps, once in a great while someone will tell me they smell chocolate in something that shouldn't have sweet notes (lime basil, for example), but I don't notice it with scented soaps. I suspect your nose/taste palate will have an impact on that. I remember one lady swatting her husband when he said my unscented soap smells like chocolate, and she said something to the affect of his sweet tooth was out of control.

It's the cocoa nibs. ;)
Maybe it depends on your cocoa butter? I use it at 5% and people tell me my unscented soap smells like chocolate (before they even read the label). I've also noticed it when working with my soap dough, but can't remember the percentage off the top of my head. For my scented soaps, once in a great while someone will tell me they smell chocolate in something that shouldn't have sweet notes (lime basil, for example), but I don't notice it with scented soaps. I suspect your nose/taste palate will have an impact on that. I remember one lady swatting her husband when he said my unscented soap smells like chocolate, and she said something to the affect of his sweet tooth was out of control.

I think the percentage could be a factor. I agree with your palate statement 100 percent! Perhaps some noses can smell things others can't.

Latest posts

Back