CO, RBD vs Organic Virgin?????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busyfingers

Reaction score
I know there is definately a difference when it comes to price but what about on the skin?
I've read there is no problem using one or the other and there is no difference.
I was having so much trouble with soaps and such. That being the exact reason I started making soap. Well I've been making soap for over a year, playing with different recipes and supporting fellow soap makers by buying their wares when I come across them.
What has been puzzling me is I use the same ingredients but I can use the soaps I make.:think: I only use Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.
I know the percentages can be different so I've been playing.
My conclusion:
I'm starting to believe it may be in the refining, bleaching and deodorizing process that could be bringing about the problem.
I was just wandering if any one else has had a similar experience and/or I would definately like your thoughts on my soap mystery?

What kind of problem are you experiencing with your soap? Perhaps you are using too high of a coconut content? There are so many variables. What superfat are you using? Perhaps upping it might help.

Can you use any of the soaps you purchase from other crafters? If so, do they use coconut oil? The reason I ask is the some people are allergic to coconut. I have found that my eczema it aggravated by soaps with coconut. Just a thought.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Forgive if I wasn't clear, my bad.
I can use my soap without any problems what so ever. My recipes are okay.
I have used high % of OVCO in different recipes and have no problem with it.

The problem is with all the other soap that I purchase from other people that is always causing my skin to redden, go raw, bleed, scream help!!!!!!!

I only have sensitive skin, no skin ailments per say.

Hmm? I never considered it could be the processing of the coconut oil that could be the problem. It would certainly be worth me trying only OVCO to see if that doesn't irritate my skin.

My thought on your purchased bars.... could be THEY are using synthetic addatives, such as fo' s or chemical stabilizers that are affecting your skin. FWIW.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Forgive if I wasn't clear, my bad.
I can use my soap without any problems what so ever. My recipes are okay.
I have used high % of OVCO in different recipes and have no problem with it.

The problem is with all the other soap that I purchase from other people that is always causing my skin to redden, go raw, bleed, scream help!!!!!!!

I only have sensitive skin, no skin ailments per say.

I personally try to use really good quality oils in my soaps, some people don't. Also if they use fragrance oils, micas, dioxides etc that could be a reason. It sounds like you do use good quality CO, that's probably why it works well with your skin. Those are my thoughts :)

My thought on your purchased bars.... could be THEY are using synthetic addatives, such as fo' s or chemical stabilizers that are affecting your skin. FWIW.
I was only using EOs then I thought perhaps someone was being "naughty" so I made some of my own soap and used FOs, SL, SA,micas etc.... I then thought perhaps the Palm, nope, not so far.
I'm not up on all the lingo, what does FWIW stand for please?

I was only using EOs then I thought perhaps someone was being "naughty" so I made some of my own soap and used FOs, SL, SA,micas etc.... I then thought perhaps the Palm, nope, not so far.
I'm not up on all the lingo, what does FWIW stand for please?

For what it's worth.

I think!

could it be a problem of lye not completely dissolved and consequently was not saponified? Or not cured long enough and high pH? i have heard a horrer story that handmade soap burned fingers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Soap Making mobile app

if you use liquid that is not clear (like milk carrot juice) it is difficult to know if lye is completely dissolved there could be a chunk of lye left in cured soap which you may not see if it does not appear on the surface.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Soap Making mobile app

The soaps you purchase may not be superfatted enough for your skin. I doubt the refined/unrefined distinction is to blame.

I need to SF at 8% or higher or my skin gets itchy.

Unfortunately there are soap vendors who don't know what they are doing. I once asked a woman at a craft show what her SF % was and she didn't understand the question. She looked at me blankly and said that she uses a recipe she got out of a book.

Latest posts

Back