Close call with lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Eep and yikes-kers! I will be vulnerable and share my big mistake as a warning to others. Today I want to make a soap with brewed coffee as my lye liquid. My mistake was not waiting long enough for the brewed coffee to cool. I added the lye and was stirring and the whole thing went whoosh and foamed up and splashed out of the container soaking my gloves. Now I have another pot of coffee cooling in the fridge.

And incidentally, it's my 3rd pot of coffee. I made coffee with distilled water at double-strength. My BIL came over and poured a large mug -- and complained that it was the nastiest coffee he's ever had!

Even though I take a "safety third" approach when it comes to mixing my Lye Solution...short sleeves, shorts, barefoot, no gloves, regular eye glasses...I am still cautious and I don't hurry. While time is money, it means nothing if you get killed in the process (it's why I always check weather and traffic reports if I have to be somewhere by a certain time).

Glad to hear that you are okay.

Eep and yikes-kers! I will be vulnerable and share my big mistake as a warning to others. Today I want to make a soap with brewed coffee as my lye liquid. My mistake was not waiting long enough for the brewed coffee to cool. I added the lye and was stirring and the whole thing went whoosh and foamed up and splashed out of the container soaking my gloves. Now I have another pot of coffee cooling in the fridge.

And incidentally, it's my 3rd pot of coffee. I made coffee with distilled water at double-strength. My BIL came over and poured a large mug -- and complained that it was the nastiest coffee he's ever had!
Thank heavens you're smart and wear gloves!

So glad you are unharmed. Thanks for sharing.

I have done that before as well, @Zing. Luckily I always add my lye to my liquid solution (water or whatever I'm using) down in my utility sink, so if it boils over it just goes down the drain! It was a good lesson for me to be a little more patient! Glad you weren't hurt!

I have done that before as well, @Zing. Luckily I always add my lye to my liquid solution (water or whatever I'm using) down in my utility sink, so if it boils over it just goes down the drain! It was a good lesson for me to be a little more patient! Glad you weren't hurt!
Yeah, I was mixing in my deep cement utility sink, thank goodness.

Luckily he's never tried coffee with lye in it - that would be far worse! 🤢

For you, Mr Vulnerable:

Thank you for your willingness to share. I am glad the gloves were the only casualty, and they did their job well, right? So, not sure, but I assume you are either using a sink to contain accidental over-boils or another container-within-a larger vessel system, yes? I think you are since you did not mention any necessary clean-up.

Also glad BIL was spared the vision of that particular accident, and only can report that you may make the strongest coffee he has ever tasted. ☕o_O

Thank you for the warning. Very glad you are ok!

For you, Mr Vulnerable:

Thank you for your willingness to share. I am glad the gloves were the only casualty, and they did their job well, right? So, not sure, but I assume you are either using a sink to contain accidental over-boils or another container-within-a larger vessel system, yes? I think you are since you did not mention any necessary clean-up.

Also glad BIL was spared the vision of that particular accident, and only can report that you may make the strongest coffee he has ever tasted. ☕o_O

Lookit you go with the hip music reference! I'm kinda crushing on Selena watching Murders in the Building. Thankfully I did not "crash and burn". My deep cement utility sink is old and a bit unlevel but I'm never getting rid of it.

Latest posts

Back