Cleaning out the Soap Room

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrja

Reaction score
So last weekend, I made two batches of soap. When I cut them and tried to put them onto the shelf to cure I realized there was no room, and that I had about 4 batches of fully cured soap just sitting there. So I did what anyone would do, I gathered up all the cured soap and went in search of victim....err test subjects. :p

I went into work on Friday with a five gallon laundry detergent bucket completely full of cut bars, sent out an email to my office of 12 people about what varieties I had up for grabs, and told them all I wanted in return was honest feedback so I could improve the recipes. I expected them to maybe take a few bars, as my coworkers tend to be kind of weird about things like that. WRONG! They almost cleaned me out, not that I'm complaining. Their enthusiasm was just very unexpected. The salt bars were of course the first to go, followed by the whipped soap, and then the heavy olive oil batches. When I left work I had about 1/4 of what I had originally brought left, which I will probably end up sending off to clean the world.

Now I wait on feedback while refilling the empty shelves! :D

Same thing happened to me a few months ago - only with the leftovers from one batch. I didn't think anyone would take them, but all was taken within 20 minutes. Ha. I ended up making a whole other batch just to give to people who wanted to try the soap.

I definitely take it as a compliment.

And speaking as someone whose been using your soap for the last three months Hazel, I'd be the one conducting soap raids on your soaping room if you lived closer. I would of course do it old college movie panty raid style, possibly wearing a hamburgler costume for fun. :-D

Ha! I'd like to see you try. Even in costume you wouldn't succeed. You wouldn't make it 2 feet into the house before Riley jumped on you and wanted to play. You know how it is - "girls just want to have fun". Then she'd eat your costume. She chews up everything. :lol:

Steak? Juicy steak?

I love this video. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw[/ame]

I used to buy other peoples home made soaps most weekends at a variety of markets ... now I rarely go to the markets, as I have loads of soap to use ... and my linen smells amazing as I put more and more soap between towels and sheets ... yummie!

I've been giving blocks to people at work, in return for honest feedback, but some people keep offering me money for my soap ... which is lovely, but I find it embarrassing, as this is meant to be something I'm doing to use as gifts. Some of my co-workers bake and bring in their yummies for us to taste ... and I feel like my soap is like that. Hope that makes sense!

It makes perfect sense Kaz. My soapmaking is actually an extension of my baking. I've lost weight since I've started making soap, for the simple fact that I can't eat it! 20 pounds and still going!

I did have a few people ask if I was charging money for it, even though the email said free soap. I just chalk that up to the fact that there are so very few free things in this world that when you do offer someone something for free, they don't know how to handle it.

Ya know, I haven't even been soaping very long and I have already accumulated a ridiculous amount of soap. I don't have any coworkers to give it to tho since I telecommute. I've got tons, but yet I want to still make more and more and more - craziness!

chrisnkelley said:
Ya know, I haven't even been soaping very long and I have already accumulated a ridiculous amount of soap. I don't have any coworkers to give it to tho since I telecommute. I've got tons, but yet I want to still make more and more and more - craziness!

You can always send some of the extra to Clean the World (see the sticky about it in this forum). I did that over the holidays, and have been saving my scraps and such to send another batch soon.

My best friend brought her daughters (3 and 5)over and they wanted to smell my candles. As they were they spotted my soap and wanted to smell it too. Then as children do asked if they could have some. Sure I got plenty! A couple days later she said they wouldn't use anything else. Now every time they come over they want some. Sure I got plenty! Mom said "No, so do we."
Looking now to babysit! Lol

Back