Cigar Bands - how to keep from slipping off

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dale_421

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using shrink wrapping for my soap but do not get a good scent through the plastic, perforated or not.

Now I'm playing around with cigar bands made of card stock and other papers, the question I have:

How do you keep the cigar band from slipping off the bar? Maybe this is more of a problem for me as the molds are 3-d, it's not just a flat bar.

I've tried using twine around it as a last step after the band but it's pretty time consuming.

So, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dale

As the soap cures it will shrink slightly which is why the bands slip.
You can get shrink wrap cigar bands and use them with or without your cardboard bands. When you are ready to sell or give the bars to someone a quick wave of the heat gun will tighten the bands right up.

Also, I find that perforated polyolefin shrink wrap allows a lot of scent to come through... though it does take a day or so before you can notice it.

I use cigar bands, and just wait until they're fully cured. The biggest problem I had is that I had trouble getting them to stay closed, no matter what I used. Finally after much trial and error, I found that wrapping them really tightly (i.e., creasing them on the edges, and pulling them taut around the soap) and using a bit of super glue to fix the seal works best. I tried a tape runner, double stiky tape, glue dots, Emler's - you name it, and I tried it. I have some bars that are from my slab molds that have decorated tops, which aren't flat, and just making sure that the edges are creased and it's pulled tightly work on them too.

Can i just add that I hate, loathe and despise wrapping soap? :wink: Put me in the kitchen over my soap pot any day over that stuff!

I double wrap mine. One horizontally and one vertically. I know of one lady that just uses a 1 1/2" white strip then her lable going the other way. I just pull mine taught and use glue stick. Then I lay the soap on the glued side so the weight of the bar holds in place while it dries. When I put the top wrap on I do a quick swipe of glue on the inside label that keeps them from sliding. Works great! I also don't wrap until they have to be sold. Here's what mine look like.

nlclvcompressed.jpg

Glue Dots

I have had a small problem with shrinkage biut I secure cigar band with a glue dot and pull paper tight. For the most part I have little initial slippage only if it sits for a few months then if it shrinks I pull apart and retighten the band. Glue dots in quantiites are availble at PaperMart.com

Shrink wrapping / Cigar Bands

One more question, I'm looking for a source of the shrink wrap cigar bands. I think that may be a good middle ground, put the paper cigar band then shrink over it to hold it but keep the sides well exposed.

Thanks!

PS I'm in Canada so a Canadian supplier would be preferable.

Thanks they have them but the shipping from UT to Canada is $23 so I'm hoping to find somone closer to home.

Thanks, does the rubber cement keep the band from sliding off? That's my main concern, I have my ingredients on a sticker which I can use to close the band itself but that doesn't help the side to side movement of the band.

Dale

No, you really just need a long cure for it.. But I definately think it works better than tape or a sticker, because after you seal it, you can slide it around to make it extra tight.

I use a glue stick to tape those paper bands closed. Doing two bands definitely prevents the bar from falling out, especially if you wrap your soap before it has shrunk a lot. I try not to wrap mine before 4 weeks of cure time.

Sunset%20bars%20lge.JPG

Back