Christmas Alternatives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My go-to gold mica is the Gold Dust mica from Oregon Trails. It has never turned orange on me.

In order to get the gold swirl that you see in my pictured purple/gold soap (which was a 1.2 lb. batch, btw), I mixed a scant 1/4 teaspoon of the Gold Dust mica with 1 teaspoon of glycerin to smooth it out, then I mixed it with 1/4 cup of my (as-of-yet uncolored) emulsified main batter and set aside. Later on after pouring the main portion of my batter into my mold @ medium trace, I drizzled in the gold batter (as well as the purple batter) in a snake-like fashion from on high into the soap batter, and then finished things off with a hanger swirl.

I also stamped the soap later on with the same Gold Dust mica.

Edited to add: I found the Joy stamp a few years ago at Michaels. It came in a package of various Christmas stamps that they were selling at the time (for scrapbooking).

IrishLass :)

Thank you IrishLass, I've since tried the drizzle of shimmer gold mica (Nurture) on top with oil, it came out with a lovely gold shimmer, I'm afraid to try any other brand for fear of it turning orange in a soap that I intend to have gold in. Next gold order I'll look into Oregon Trails :) I really appreciate your time in answering me :)

I love that you have your cupcakes actually in liners. Cupcake soap is cute, but there's a bit of mental disconnect for me seeing them naked. Cupcakes are supposed to be in cupcake liners.

Thank you! I used to pour them in the red silicone liners, then transfer them to a paper liner when packaging. But I didn't like the way the final product looked. You can see in that photo that the second row has been moved to liners, and there is a gap all the way around between the cupcake and the liner. Now I put the paper liners in a muffin tin and pour directly in them. They cling to the soap and hold their shape, but they peel off easily once the soap is cured. Saves me a step, and it looks nicer.

Back to the original topic though... There is a cake & candy supply shop here that has hundreds of styles, colors, and patterns in their cupcake liners. The prices are good if you buy in quantity, and you can find Christmas themed as well as other holidays, birthday, etc. A pretty simple way to turn a "standard" recipe into a holiday theme, just by swapping out the wrapper.

Latest posts

Back