Chocolate soap ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvan

Reaction score
So, if anyone has made a truly great chocolate soap that smelled absolutely to die for, let me know.

In the meantime, my base recipe consists of the following oils (no particular order):

Castor oil
Palm Kernel oil
Olive oil
Coconut oil
Palm oil

I usually superfat with either avocado or macadamia nut oil. But am open to suggestions.

I use a 30% lye/water solution

I just procured some fabulous chocolatey cocoa butter and plan to put some of that in and my biggest question is whether I could skip the sugar in the lye solution and put in some semi-sweet chocolate.

I thought of the semisweet chocolate because I always sweeten my lye (haha) and there are fats in the chocolate.

I have made chocolate soap which I like. In one batch I put 1 oz milk chocolate and one TBSP Cocoa powder added at trace. I used 1/2 and 1/2 as my liquid. I also used Chocolate FO. I happened to be low on the FO, so not much was in the batch and it has no discernible scent left. I did use 10% not-deodorized Cocoa butter in that recipe. I don't think that alone will scent your soap. I added the melted chocolate at light trace. This bar stung my hands at 4 wk cure. Did not do so to my 3 testers. I have VERY sensitive skin. I think it must have been the chocolate. It is 10 wks cured now and fine for me to use.

I did make a chocolate/peppermint soap that I can't stop smelling :D I used sugar instead of melted chocolate. I used cream as 1/2 of the liquid. and chocolate drizzle FO from WSP. Peppermint EO. No cocoa butter in that recipe.

I know--lots info presented in a somewhat random fashion. Hope you can sort it out.

unfortunately the scent from even the most lucious cocoa butter doesn't come through very well (as in - if I didn't know it was there, even with cocoa butter at 48%, I'd never have picked up the hint of it).

carebear said:
unfortunately the scent from even the most lucious cocoa butter doesn't come through very well (as in - if I didn't know it was there, even with cocoa butter at 48%, I'd never have picked up the hint of it).

I know the C.Butter scent doesn't survive the gel. it just smelled yummy in the package and made me want to make the chocolate soap I had put off for so long (friend requested it and I don't like such soaps). Most things that smell good outside of soap don't resemble their aromas in a soap.

about half a square of baker's chocolate per lb (melted in your oils) will give you a nice brown, but the smell won't last through saponification :( i've never used choc chips, wonder if the semi sweeets would have enough sugar?

I have some chocolate espresso fo from brambleberry that smells nice.

I made my first chocolate soap last week and it is to die for. It's taking all my will not to bite into a bar.
I used 30g of bournville dark chololate melted and added at trace to 1kg oils. I used half chocolate FO and half orange spice FO (15g of each) to fragrance. I'm calling it chocolate orange, original I know :lol:
It smells great. I can't tell if the added chocolate has added to the scent or not but it's the strongest smelling soap I've made to date to the point that I've had to move my other soaps from the same curing area as they are picking up the scent a bit.I'm looking forward to seeing how this one sells.

Anita,

What orange spice did you use? Chocolate/orange is on my list of "to do" :lol: I have never had it in soap, but in food the combo is great! But I have never found an orange FO I really like. I have been wondering of the chocolate would anchor sweet orange EO....

Anyway, I would like to know what you found if you don't mind. Thanx

Hi ToniD,
i live in Ireland so I order my materials from the uk. The site I use is www.soapbasics.com .
I'm new to FOs as I've used EOs until now and in my experience the citrus ones just don't want to stay around. The orange spice I think is overshadowed a bit in my chocolate orange combination but I think it definitely adds to the overall scent.
I also ordered a pink grapefruit FO from the site as I've no luck with with that as an EO and it smells lovely but not as strong as I'd hoped in the finished soap. I mixed a little ginger EO with it to give it a bit of zing but as it cures it seems to get weaker.But you know, maybe I just think that as I'm constantly sniffing them and I'm possibly getting immune to the smell.

Yeah, citrus EOs fade. Too bad the FO faded on you too. I'll bet your grapefruit/ginger combo smelled great while it lasted--sounds yummy!

I would not pay shipping from UK since I live in the states, but thanks for letting me know anyway.

if you're going for the chocolate color and smell, my coffee soap made with triple strength coffee instead of water made a very fudgey looking bar an with a great chocolate scent. I was hoping for a coffee scent since I love to smell (not drink) coffee, but it was much more on the chocolate side. DH kept insisting that we were supposed to eat the bars. :)

Anita, I am looking for a good orange spice, can you tell me where you get yours?

I love making chocolate soap out of WSP chocolate drizzle, smells great. My. My last batch was choc drizzle and sweetcakes candly cane mixed, so yummy.

Thanks Anita, yeah that probably won't work for me, I think I'll post that question as a new topic and see where I get.

:D :D

I really like chocolate and mint in soap. I use a chocolate mousse fo from MMS and peppermint eo (just a tiny bit). I take out about 1/3 of the soap and color it white for a swirl. It's a best seller for me.

Coffee in Soap

Dear Xixstar,
I made coffee soap using 1oz of instant coffee for a 5lb batch. I retained 2 oz of the water to dissolve it and added it after the lye. I made a second batch and added 1oz island coconut FO [brambleberry]. It stays coffee smelling, maybe because of the coconut mix? or maybe the instant coffee? I am planning to make soap with Brambleberry - Rich Chocolate.

I used cocoa powder in my German Chocolate Cake soap. I also used BB Dark Rich Chocolate FO. So far, it looks great. It has to cure another week. It smells great!

Latest posts

Back