Cheap vs. Steep - soap making ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Sussex Handmade Soap Company in England recently posted a couple of YouTube videos on their comparison of two batches of soap. One batch was made with expensive ingredients and one was made with the least expensive ingredients they could find. While they didn’t exactly control the soap qualities for the comparison, and the costs of ingredients will vary depending on where you live, the videos are worth watching. No spoiler alert - you will have to watch the videos!

Cheap or Steep, Part 1 - they review the ingredients and the recipes and then make the soaps:

Cheap or Steep, Part 2 - the soaps are tested after they cure:

The Sussex Handmade Soap Company in England recently posted a couple of YouTube videos on their comparison of two batches of soap. One batch was made with expensive ingredients and one was made with the least expensive ingredients they could find. While they didn’t exactly control the soap qualities for the comparison, and the costs of ingredients will vary depending on where you live, the videos are worth watching. No spoiler alert - you will have to watch the videos!

Cheap or Steep, Part 1 - they review the ingredients and the recipes and then make the soaps:

These two videos are very informative, thank you for posting them. It also confirms my choice of beef tallow and lard for most of my soaps. Additionally they are locally sourced which means a lot to me.

Last edited:
I remember catching the first video when it came out (and promptly forgot about it) but I'm glad to see the sequel!

Chalk up another victory for the lardinators!!

Latest posts

Back