cheap soap cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb

Reaction score
hi,

Hope this hasn't been posted before...

but yesterday I was in the hardware store browsing. Dangerous hobby that! I picked up two large metal rings, a mitre box and some 30 pound fishing wire. 30 minutes later, I had some 30 pound fishing wire knotted between two rings, and it has made a very fine soap cutter indeed!

Best of all, i have a about 100 meters left in case it breaks and the only too needed was a pair of scissors. Cost of rings: 1.94 each without tax. Cost of wire? I forget, but about a fiver.
edited to add: cost of wire used? pennies.
Cheers
Deb

good thinkin, Deb!!

i hadn't considered fishing line.

i've got about 15 packs of cheapie guitar strings i don't plan on using on my guitar that i had planned on using (door prize type thing at a store grand opening, but then found out they sucked), but i think i like the idea of using fishing line better. i bet the braided fishing lines would work fantastic!! :D

Thanks for posting this info Deb , my hubby made one with wire , but it's a little to thick , fishing line might just solve the problem .

Kitn

What grade fishing line does everyone use,or does it even matter? I've been using a mitre box & knife but for the life of me I can't get a straight cut. I can feel when it starts to go skewiff,& think the problem is knife thickness,so I'm hoping a wire/line cutter may be the answer.Short of getting a kind & clever metalworker to bang up a 12 wire cutter for me! I can see it in my minds eye,but have nowhere near the skills needed! Such is life... :roll:

Deb: This sounds wonderful, could you (or anyone) by chance post a picture? I would love to see if I could make one, but not sure how to do it. I am currently using a woodin box with slats on each side. I run a pastry cutter through the slats to cut the bars, but many times they don't end up smooth. I've seen the wire cutters, but don't know how they are made.

I would also love to see a picture of this cutter....I would love to copy your idea. I personally use a cheese slicer, but can never get it straight...starts out good, ends up bad!

awi

i use a dry wall seaming knife
thin ss blade 8inch x 6inch with a good handle on top
no scrapes no gouges no line marks
solid smooth clean cuts
can be found at any hardware store

Back