Cheap shipping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskachick

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a difference in shipping rates from any of the soaping supply companies? I live in Alaska, and one supplier wants $21 to ship $10 worth of oils (3lbs)! I just can't do it. They may all be about the same when it comes to shipping, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone in the pacific NW has found a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

So, I found a place called Essential Depot through Amazon that has palm oil, etc. for a decent price and it qualifies for free "super saver" shipping. Does anyone have experience with their products? Their product descriptions say "100% pure... Unrefined..."

I order my lye from them and I really like it. I always order my oils from Soapers Choice in 50 lb pails and lots at one time so I don't have to order freq. so I am not much help on the oils

I purchase my lye from Essential Depot and have purchased EO and FO's from them. Great prices and look for a sale. BTW when you were calculating the shipping charges that added up to $21 did you try adding more things to your cart to see if you could get more items and not impact the $21.00. It seems really high but that may only be the minimum to get something shipped to Alaska and you may be able to get more items for the same shipping cost. I do that when calculating my online orders and shipping charges.

I have used Essential Depot lye of course and I just bought there castor oil which I like and I have bought a few of there EO and FO. I only EO I didn't care for was there lavender which was such a good price I should have been wary but everything else that I have bought from them seems really good and super fast shipping. Hope that helps :)

I think that their prices are better on their own website compared to Amazon. There are usually coupons available too,try www.retailmenot I have used them for my lye, and purchased some essential oils, and have been very happy.

I am also in Alaska - western part out near Bethel. It's kind of surprising that Anchorage doesn't have more in the way of supplies.
I use Essential Depot for lyes and use their free shipping and have been pleased with their service and product. I don't have any experience with their oils but I'm getting close to having to order some.
As for EO's I've found soap-making-resource.com to be very reasonable on their shipping. They use usps mail and have been pleased with their service also. And as a big plus they include a grab bag of different things with each order. I've probably gotten close to $25 in oils, herbs, or scents from just a few orders.
Companies that will only ship ups on small, light items drive me crazy, it's ridiculous. Good luck.

I am also in Alaska - western part out near Bethel. It's kind of surprising that Anchorage doesn't have more in the way of supplies.
I use Essential Depot for lyes and use their free shipping and have been pleased with their service and product. I don't have any experience with their oils but I'm getting close to having to order some.
As for EO's I've found soap-making-resource.com to be very reasonable on their shipping. They use usps mail and have been pleased with their service also. And as a big plus they include a grab bag of different things with each order. I've probably gotten close to $25 in oils, herbs, or scents from just a few orders.
Companies that will only ship ups on small, light items drive me crazy, it's ridiculous. Good luck.

Thanks for the great ideas! Today in Fred Meyer I found Spectrum "Organic All Vegetable Shortening" which contains "mechanically pressed organic palm oil". That's been the hardest item to find locally. It cost $10 for 24 oz.

You were correct about the shipping being more reasonable at soap-making-resource.com! One pound of oil was $12.67 to ship. For 10 pounds of oil, the shipping only went up to $15.20. That's what I was looking for!

I don't know what you have nearby, but try looking into restaurant supply places, like cash & carry, even smart & final or Costco. Many times you can find oils in bulk at great prices. If you find any they may fill in between what you need to have shipped.

Thanks for the great ideas! Today in Fred Meyer I found Spectrum "Organic All Vegetable Shortening" which contains "mechanically pressed organic palm oil". That's been the hardest item to find locally. It cost $10 for 24 oz.

Alaskachick and Alaskazimm, I'm new on the forum but have been roaming the streets of Anchorage awhile in pursuit of shipping-free soap supplies. Check out Natural Pantry in Anchorage for oils, butters, EOs and a few FOs, bulk herbs/flowers/clays for natural colorants, and a few other misc. soap supplies. They aren't real cheap but at least they're here and don't require ground transportation which tends to be outrageous. They may even do bush orders, but if not PM me I'll do what I can to help. They carry larger tubs of palm and coconut oils to bring the unit price down, lower than the quote above for Freddie's. Costco just started carrying coconut oil (let's hope it lasts), and I got a fabulous deal ($3/lb) with a rebate that is now expired. Costco is also the best for big jugs of OO.

There is a local soap company in Anchorage (Denali Dreams) that will sell some supplies to hobbyists. There may be others in the state too who feel your pain and will redistribute as well. Both Ace Hardwares in town carry NaOH. I have a lead on KOH but haven't quite pinned it down yet. Michaels mostly has only M&P supplies, though they do carry straight and crinkle cut soap cutters and a few small molds.

I too am still figuring out the best deals for shipping from the L48, especially for EOs/FOs. It seems low flash points or other concerns prevent some suppliers from using USPS or other air transport. I think another AK'an on this site said Wellington will ship fragrances via USPS Flat Rate if you give them a call, but I haven't tried that yet.

Good luck finding what you need, and please let me know where you find the best deals!

Forgot to say, avocado oil just showed up at the Anchorage Costco, too ($9.79 for 34 oz). Fingers are crossed it will stay or at least periodically show up again since Costco regularly rotates their inventory.

Thanks for the heads up CaraBou.

I don't make it to the big town except for about 4 times a year but I will give a look out for Denali Dreams if I have time. I'm actually headed into Anchorage in a couple of weeks for the EMS Symposium so I probably won't have a lot of time to run around for myself.

Great info CaraBou! I actually checked out Denali Dreams in Spenard last week. I'm just experimenting, so I didn't need large quantities of anything. I bought 4oz of cocoa butter and 4oz mango butter (~$6 each?), some oxide colorants (~$2 each for a few teaspoonfuls) and some lemongrass EOs ($4 for a small bottle ~ 1 oz). I just placed an order for some EOs and oils through Amazon (free shipping during an amazon prime 30 day free trial). At Sam's Club this week I noticed Olive Oil was $16 for 3L, Crisco 6lb $8.98 (soybean, palm), and Coconut oil 54 oz. $16.68. Let me know if you hear of any deals!

I'm in Alaska too (Mat-Su valley). Glad to hear Costco has avocado oil cause I really want to try that! As for shipping prices...USPS is always the cheapest but I still find the average I pay is 30% of the total order price for shipping (so a $100 order will be about $30 for shipping). I like MMS as they have a wide range of supplies and I've had great luck soaping with their FOs. Save on scents does flat rate boxes so their shipping is good, only used their FOs and not thrilled with some of their reactions in cp though. When looking at new suppliers I always go right to their shipping prices/policy before I even look at their products. It is SO frustrating when you find the perfect product and price and then find out it will cost the same price or more to ship it! Sorry...rant

In anchorage, try Linford. It is a restaurant supply place and has several oils at good prices. All About Herbs in Wasilla has smaller quantities of lots of oils also...but I know that only helps if you're in the area

Never thought of Amazon for my supplies, and I have a prime membership. I'll definitely check them out.

Latest posts

Back