Charcoal and fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oconnorkm

Reaction score
I've read that some soapers use clays to "anchor" or protect fragrance in their soap. Would charcoal do the same thing? Or would it diminish the scent, since it is an "odor absorber"?

Thanks in advance!

I've read that some soapers use clays to "anchor" or protect fragrance in their soap. Would charcoal do the same thing? Or would it diminish the scent, since it is an "odor absorber"?

Thanks in advance!
I have wondered the same thing 🤔😆
From what I can gather from other people's stories and recipes, apparently it does not absorb (negate) the scents. I don't use scents very often due to sensitivities, but I did try adding charcoal to a soap recipe just for the experience and the natural smell of the soap was still there so I'm going to vote no, it does not absorb odors/scents in the soap. It is, however, a pain in the derriere to work with because it's in a super fine powder so it poofs everywhere! I didn't realize how far that powder went until I was doing the final cleanup and I had charcoal powder on my kitchen cloth from wiping down the counters and stove top 😵

Latest posts

Back