Caustic Soda at 98%

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjtesge

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new at soap making and really want to get started. I have all my ingrediants apart from my lye, I found at the Supermarket in Australia 'Caustic Soda', it says that it is 98% Sodium hydroxide. I just wanted to know if this was a high enought purity for my lye. It does not specify what the other 2% is.

Any ideas.

Thansk!

Hi rjtesge!

I am a fellow Aussie and have used the same caustic soda you mention. I haven't been able to find any other lye source as yet. My first CP batch is now 2 months old and really lovely on everyone's skin, so my answer is that it works for me :)

I know that 100% sodium hydroxide is best, and if I ever find it I will definitely use that but so far, so good. HTH!

Tanya :)

Seems okay to me

I too like TC. have purchased the same at Supermarkets ,the local rural suppliers and also a local bulk cleaning supplier .I just buy it as caustic soda and it works fine for me.One lot from the super market had in bold type that it was suitable for soap making but nothing was different to the ones with out that lable.
Also the bulk supplier said they sell quite a lot for soap making.
So I hope that helps.
Best of luck.Your soap will be fine but it is a bit nerve wracking at first.

Latest posts

Back