Castor oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewenique

Reaction score
Castor oils seems to be the only oil with ricinoleic qualities. Is it an important oil to use in soapmaking? What difference does it make in the finished soap?

love it, use it all the time, makes more bubbles, not sure how much moisture it adds, i use mago or avacado too.

Castor will give you more lather without the drying effect. I like it and use it at about 5% of the recipe.

x

hi there!

i use from 10-15% in my soaps-it gives it a very dense shaving cream kinda lather.

if you use www.soapcalc.com it will show you it increases bubbles and creamy-ness. i use it with a higher coconut oil content.

I'm a castor lover, too, and I use it in every batch. In some batches I use 5%, in some 8%, in some 10%, in some 12%, and in one particular batch I use 23%! I find it adds an extra oomph, or dense, creamy, underlying body to my lather.

IrishLass :)

It provides a dense creamy lather and I use it in every batch too. I keep it to just 5% though because I like a harder bar.

Stacie

I also use castor in every batch, it's the first oil I add in soapcalc. I love the properties that it brings to soap. I also use a little in the "oil cleansing Method'.
I usually stick to 5% but I will experiment some and increase that a little in the future. You don't need much to get that lovely frothy full bodied lather that it gives to the soap.

I almost never use it.

and if I do, any amount over 8% leaves the soap on the soft side, and increases (IME) the tendency to sweat.

Artisansoaps,

Did you try looking for castor oil at your local pharmacy? It should be with the upset tummy medicines. That's where I bought mine.

I also use it in every batch. :)

Jude

heyjude said:
Artisansoaps,

Did you try looking for castor oil at your local pharmacy? It should be with the upset tummy medicines. That's where I bought mine.

Jude

A good place to also try looking is in health-food stores. I can find castor oil in abundance at my local health-food store in 32 oz bottles. A lot of people use it for making warm castor oil packs for different ailments such as blocked milk ducts in breastfeeding women, for instance, and also liver cleansing regimens, etc...

IrishLass :)

It's amazing how great castor oil feels. You think your soap is fine without it, but the extra creaminess makes it so worth it. I've been playing around with 5-10% in my soaps. Too bad you can't pick it up locally. I suffered and paid more at the health food store for 16 oz. I just make small batches so it goes a long way. I wish I had put it in all of my soaps.

Hey Clare?

Emilee here. I"m up in Dargaville Northland, the only other NZer on the forum as far as I'm aware.

Where are you getting your castor from?

I get most of my stuff from Aromatics and More. They're usually pretty good. Have you heard of them before?

stink about having to pay shipping, but as you say, the bubbles will be worth it.

Back