Castor oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've recently started experimenting with castor oil (5-10%) in my soaps.

Do you use it? If so, how much do you use and what properties do you find that it gives your soap?

If you don't use it, I'd like to hear your thoughts on that as well.

Well, can you start please? What have you found with castor so far? I have only used it once, in a shampoo bar and because I did everything different in that one I have no real idea what the castor did? :oops: It did lather well, but all my soaps do anyway.....

Tanya :)

I used 15% in a shampoo bar yesterday, but I won't know how it turned out for another month or two. :(

I added it because I heard that it made extra lather (probably in cases where you don't want to be adding lots of coconut for lather, since it's drying? I don't think castor is as drying, but not sure). I think if you add too much it makes your soap soft.

I use between 8%-20% in my bars. It definitely helps to give a nicer, creamier lather. I do see more bubbles and it has more moisture for me. I have never noticed it to be drying. I think it is a wonderful addition.

SoapPoopette :)

Castor oil use?

I think that what castor oil adds to soap is very subtle....unless of course you use quite a bit of it. I use only 5% and I think that is makes nice big bubbles and creamy bubbles that come up very quickly. My gm soaps have creamy lather all on their own without castor, and my water soaps have nice big bubbles too. After soaping for about 4 months, I began adding castor to each batch. Every once and awhile, I will get going with measuring and forget to add in the castor. I don't find a big difference in those soaps without...but then I only go to 5%. Here is what I have observed; Soaps with castor lather up much faster and the lather is stable and creamy at the same time. A subtle thing is going on here but it is a factor.

I sometimes use it at 10%-15%. It adds a dense creaminess to the lather, IMHO. It makes the lather softer and more luxurious. It does make for a bit of a softer soap, and in combination with a fair amount of palm oil can cause a crazy-fast trace, especially if they are being used with a mean FO.

Even though it makes for a slightly softer soap, I love it in face soap bars. The lather feels so nice, almost like it is moisturizing. Of course, when you wash it off the feeling goes away, and your face is dry and squeaky clean. :D

I use 1.5-3 ounces and have never not used it. Having said that, I have just run out of the stuff and was wondering if I should make a batch without. hmm...

Castor is very essential to me in my formulas. I use it between 5% and 23% depending on my recipe. My recipe with 23% castor in it has 65% tallow in it as well, and in spite of the high amount of castor, it makes a rock-hard bar (because of the high % of tallow). I would never use that high of an amount of castor in my Castile-types though.

I like castor because I find that it adds body (for lack of a better word) to my soap lather.

IrishLass :)

I use it too, at 5%, in all my soap. It helps provide nice creamy bubbles, if that makes sense.

Stacie

combination with a fair amount of palm oil can cause a crazy-fast trace

Oooh you speak the truth ! Had it happen last night to me.

I use it at 15% in all my recipes. I love it, I do think it really adds something to the lather.

I use it in all my batches in different ways.

In my CP shampoo bars, I add it at about 10-15% for the creamy bubble factor.

In my regular CP bars, I add it about 5-6% for the bubbles and creamy lather.

In my HP bars, I use it as a superfat after the cook because it makes a lovely, mild soap. Basically, I make a 0 superfat recipe, cook it, and then add 1 oz castor to each lb. of oil. Nice soap too! :)

jbarad said:
combination with a fair amount of palm oil can cause a crazy-fast trace

Oooh you speak the truth ! Had it happen last night to me.

I use it at 15% in all my recipes. I love it, I do think it really adds something to the lather.

Same thing happened to me a few days ago! I usually use 15% in my recipes, as we have really hard water around these parts and castor really helps the lather factor. I can only use that much castor while working under temps of 90 degrees.

I have used Castor in some of my soaps, but as I am still playing with recipes, it's difficult to say what it does. Now I switched to playing with coloirs and scents, I am trying to streamline my recipes and I plan to make some small batches and add or leave out one oil at a time, just to see how it changes things.

But I have a question to folks in the UK, where do you get your castor oil from ? I am buying it at the pharmacy and it is very expensive. And I get funny looks when I ask for half a litre of the stuff :lol:

I always add castor oil to my soap, between 5-10%. Castor oil made up almost entirely of ricinoleic acid and is the only oil that contains this fatty acid. Ricinoleic acid is conditioning to both hair and skin. That is why castor oil is recommended for shampoo bars. It also makes the soap lather richer and more bubbly. The only time I don't add castor oil to my soap is when I am out of it and too lazy to run to my supplier.

Latest posts

Back