Castile Soap- Take two!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirafly24

Reaction score
So, my first batch of castile soap was a bust (see http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25092). Using what I learned from that failure, I took another shot at it.

Success!

Here is my castile soap, 100% olive pomace infused with chamomile and calendula petals

castile1.jpg

castile2.jpg

This time, I used a 40% lye concentration, which made things move faster (although it still took about 45 minutes to trace!). I soaped at 110 degrees and insulated. I don't think it gelled, but in any case, it was ready to cut within 24 hours :)

It's unscented and uncolored...it just has a little bit of crushed chamomile flowers in it.

A lovely natural looking soap, the flecks look great. I still have to do castille - don't like waiting for the cure time.

Ohh, that looks fantastic! Looks very natural and creamy. Love the specs!

Great job!

Thanks :) It seems to be firming up pretty quickly. I love the faint scent it has...it really reminds me of banana bread, or some other sweet bread baking.

Thank you!

Relle9 said:
A lovely natural looking soap, the flecks look great. I still have to do castille - don't like waiting for the cure time.

I felt the same way, but I then I realized...if I make it now, put it on the curing rack and forget about it...in a few months I'll have nicely cured castile. If I put it off because I don't want to wait, well then in a few months I will not have castile! :D

Back