Candelilla wax in lip balm ... super grainy ???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosie

Reaction score
I've made several sucessful beeswax lip balms. I recently tried using candelilla wax, decreasing the percentage due to hardness and using the same oils as the beeswax version and no matter what I try it always ends up super grainy.

I've googled over and over and it says carnauba wax is grainy but no one mentions candelilla wax. What am I doing wrong!

Here is my latest recipe
avocado oil
coconut oil
kokum butter
candelilla wax

at first I thought it was the kokum butter, I went through 50 lip tubes and then tried it in beeswax and its perfect, so now I don't think its the kokum butter!

Thanks for any help

make sure you have it absolutely and completely melted.
and keep in mind that kokum can go grainy - just like other butters.
if you haven't had a problem in the past with the recipe & beeswax it could be that the increased temp required for the candelilla causes graininess in the kokum.

sorry for the delay, thank you so much for your reply, I never thought of it that way, as it affecting the kokum butter differently. Thanks again!! Off to experiment :)

Also, make sure you get the double refined Candelilla wax. I have heard the regular can go grainy.

I get mine from Nature's Garden. :)

Back