Can you get spontaneous gel with a 40% lye? Yep.

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

fuzz-juzz

Reaction score
100% Coconut?

They set pretty fast and gel like crazy.
I made some in small individual molds and they gelled just sitting on the bench, uncovered.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1.5 oz individual molds will full gel with 100% CO soap even with only 38%. Even sitting on the lid of the washer uncovered. And it takes about 3 short bursts with the stickblender to get thin trace. You should not try for medium trace, you will barely have time to pour at thin trace.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
Yeah I made laundry soap a while back at 40% and it got SUPER hot and almost volcanoed. I think if memory serves I was cutting and grating in under 2 hours

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I make mine in individual molds and they get very hot, gel, and expand in the middle. The last time, I could hear them expanding and watch the cracks forming in the middle as the batter rose up. I thought I was about to witness my first volcano.

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My 1.5 oz individual molds will full gel with 100% CO soap even with only 38%. Even sitting on the lid of the washer uncovered. And it takes about 3 short bursts with the stickblender to get thin trace. You should not try for medium trace, you will barely have time to pour at thin trace.
That's never happened to me. I find these take at least 5 minutes to reach thin trace with generous stretches of continuous stick blending. That's with different batches and types of CO (76 and 92).

I used Saran wrap for this application and I was adjusting it and pouring in stages while the batter remained at thin trace. I have heard others also remark that CO doesn't trace exceptionally fast. It would behave as you describe if it had a lot of FFA, or for what other reason I don't know.

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Did it make it all the way out or leave ya with the "halo effect"?
If you imagine the mold in two halves, it started in the center of each half (slight overheat bulges) and met in the middle. This is still visible in the photo. Gel was almost complete but there was a thin halo.

Latest posts