can someone please verify my math?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
It all made sense to me when I did it .. without thinking about it.

.. but then I sat down to review my notes and all of a sudden I wasn't sure what the heck I had done.

I looked at it long enough that I *think* I've done it right but I'd really appreciate it if someone else could just verify my math.

Bear with me, I think math backwards to most people.

My lye masterbatch is 1.5:1, water:lye

My recipe needed: 327g water and 130g lye.

So my head said;

130g of lye x 1.5 = 195g water
130g lye + 195g water = 325g of masterbatch
327g of water needed for recipe - 195g of water in masterbatch total = 132g of water to add.

:eh:

Yes, I got the same thing for all calculations. I also double-checked by figuring out that your 1.5:1 solution is 40% lye, so your final number of masterbatch solution of 325g * .40, I get 130g of lye. Yay!

This is exactly why I wondered why you masterbatched the percentage you used. I always masterbatch 50/50 then all I have to do is double my lye solution. Makes it so much simplier

I soap at a 2.5:1 ratio and wanted to make sure I had enough water to properly dissolve the lye. 50/50 makes me nervous.

I don't mind doing the math, especially now that I know I'm doing it right.

I soap at a 2.5:1 ratio and wanted to make sure I had enough water to properly dissolve the lye. 50/50 makes me nervous.

I don't mind doing the math, especially now that I know I'm doing it right.

I just have to double my solution and deduct the lye amount from my amount from my total liquid I want to use. (dependent on the water:lye ratio I want to soap with. 50/50 is not hard to make. Just stir it a lot until almost clear, I mentioned almost clear since it will not be as clear as a weaker solution. Easy peasy and very little math!

Latest posts

Back