Mathing Master Batching

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning!
If my recipe calls for %50 MB lye of 927.79g, but I don’t actually have any MB lye solution, is that 927.79 divided by two equals 463.895g of water and lye for the MB portion?
I think I’ve got it, but if someone could confirm or correct me, I’d be super grateful!

Correct. Although given the batch size, you won't hurt anything if you round up to 928g of MB, resulting in 464g each of water and NaOH. Working with whole numbers reduces the chance of errors for many people. ;)
I usually do round up/down. Thanks for the math check! I’d really love to get to the place where MB lye was comfortable!!! 2022 goals!

I just MB ready-to-use. Because I also MB my Oils, I have a spreadsheet with all my mold on it with the total amount of Oils, Lye Solution and FO that I need.
Really want to streamline my process this year! Thanks for the inspiration!! I’d MB regular strength lye, except I want to use powdered goat milk and honey in this batch.

Really want to streamline my process this year! Thanks for the inspiration!! I’d MB regular strength lye, except I want to use powdered goat milk and honey in this batch.
You can still do that with full-strength MB lye. Simply stick-blend the powdered GM into the oils very, very well. Probably 2-3 different rounds with the SB. Assuming you are using regular honey, and not powdered, you can add it to the MB lye solution. It will heat up a bit when you do that, but if you do that right before adding to the room temp oils, I find that the heat is not appreciably more than I get from adding MB lye to oils without honey.

You can also use @IrishLass' method for adding the honey; I can't remember it exactly at the moment, but a quick search under her posts should turn it up. :)

Latest posts

Back