Can it be done?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-lee-

Reaction score
I have tried searching the web for an answer and that is how I found you all. Can you completely coat one bar of soap in a separate layer. I am hoping to get two completely different smells out of one bar so as the soap is used a completely different smells will immerge. And can it be done with the inside smell not bleeding through over time? I will be using lye soap for this at least that is my hope.Thank you in advance for your help

Don't know how much help I can be. The closest I've come to that is doing a layered soap, half scented with one EO blend and the other half scented with a different EO blend. You can see a picture of it here. Far as I can tell so far the scents are staying mostly separate, but the interface between them is pretty small.

Has any one tried to dip a finished bar in a new batch similar to a candle? My issue is the main scent I want may be offensive to some people but useful to others and the less curing time it will have with the offensive bar exposed the better for my marriage.

Would blending the two fragrance before adding them to the soap be an option?

If not, how about a Confetti Bar?

Has any one tried to dip a finished bar in a new batch similar to a candle? My issue is the main scent I want may be offensive to some people but useful to others and the less curing time it will have with the offensive bar exposed the better for my marriage.

I don't see why not.
You might be better off confetti-ing it. It won't hold its scent and gives you the opportunity for some creative looks.

Yes, you can dip soaps in the same way you do for candles.

I have not tried this for the purpose of containing a scent long enough to cure a soap.

It could work! No idea what the thickness of the layer would need to be to get enough time to cure your soap and get it out from under noses that are offended by the odor. That may vary according to the scent, going by what Susie has mentioned about patchouli bleeding through everything.

Experimenting with the permeability of the soap to be used for your barrier layer, using different oils for your base, and adding things like clays and beeswax to help contain the scent for the outer layer, might be something you could explore as well.

It's an interesting concept, thank-you.

OOoooooh! I had an idea for you (from the fragrance folk). Why not make some different types of soaps, from different oils and with different additives, and experiment with scent absorbancy by leaving them in a sealed bag with a material soaked in the scent ... the soap that absorbs the scent the LEAST will be the one you want for your coating.

That way you can test your dipping layer part, before actually making the soap with the scent annoying for anyone around you.

Anyway, I like your thinking and would like to hear how you go with it! :smile:

It's not pachuli I wouldn't wish that on any one. No offense. Part of it comes from my mischievous and prankster side, but mostly from a utilitarian side, the whole goal is to let the inner less pleasing smell out after a good first scrub or two while being allowed to stay in the house. The scents I am wanting to work with may not even be something I could use with soap, I am still looking into how they are made and how to get ahold of them for a reasonable cost. Thanks all for the help I will try to look into some of those methods on here and see what I can learn.

:think: So, you're trying to make a trick soap? To make it seem like it's a pleasant scent, then it turns into something different in the shower? Now I'm curious. Lol

Does any one use hydrosol out doors pretty much everyone use essential oils?

You can use hydrosols in place of water, but I don't believe the scent or beneficial properties will survive saponification. For scent, you can use essential oils or fragrance oils.

I've seen garlic essential oil :twisted:
I think the scent would be less likely to travel through if the offensive inner soap was well cured before the outer coating was applied, but I don't know how well the outer coating would stick to the soap. Something as offensive as garlic would be hard to mask.

I've been think about this since you first posted.

What about cavity molds. Make the stinky batch first. Then cut the bars down a little. Then, pour a little of your nice batch into each cavity. Place the smaller bars in and surround them with more nice soap batter. Then, the bar would be completely covered by a layer of nice soap. The thickness of your layer would depend on how much you cut off the stinky bar.

So far the only trick soap I have thought of is skunk. I have a friend to send it to who would get a kick out of it his wife not so much. The others are other animal related scents for instance shrimp or something similar.I will have to try a batch of the water to see what happens if it doesn't work, I may have to put a still together and work on essential oil mixtures for what I want. Am still looking through nature's garden to see what they have and we have a plant therapy here in town that has some also.

Save on Scents has some odd concoctions. I’ve had my eye on gasoline/petrol but don’t have an practical application for it yet

If you are looking for something a bit "out there" try Nature's Garden Cannabis Flower Fragrance Oil. Skunky with floral notes.

Latest posts

Back