Can I rebatch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat Soap

Reaction score
I need a little clarification on re-batching...
True or false:
"Soap" that was made with all the right ingredients, in the right ratios, but was only brought to a false trace, is covered with ash on the outside, and is still soft on the inside after three weeks can be successfully re-batched.
Thanks for your help!

Kat Soap said:
I need a little clarification on re-batching...
True or false:
"Soap" that was made with all the right ingredients, in the right ratios, but was only brought to a false trace, is covered with ash on the outside, and is still soft on the inside after three weeks can be successfully re-batched.
Thanks for your help!

You can rebatch, but you need to figure out what went haywire... whats your recipe? might be able to give more input if I could see what you are working with! :)

The recipe I used called for 1 pond of Crisco, 6 oz water, and 2 oz lye. I added in approximately 10-15 drops of tangerine EO. I used a Pringles can for a mold.
This was my first attempt, and was prior to doing much research on soap making.
In retrospect, I don't think I brought it to a full trace. I didn't insulate the can and so I think some of it gelled, but not all of it.
The centers are still soft, about like a stale Tootsie Roll, the outsides are ashy, and the bars have very obvious rings.
It does pass the zap test, and I am confident that the ingredients were correctly measured.
I'm hoping I can melt it down and re-mold...

Kat Soap said:
The recipe I used called for 1 pond of Crisco, 6 oz water, and 2 oz lye. I added in approximately 10-15 drops of tangerine EO. I used a Pringles can for a mold.
This was my first attempt, and was prior to doing much research on soap making.
In retrospect, I don't think I brought it to a full trace. I didn't insulate the can and so I think some of it gelled, but not all of it.
The centers are still soft, about like a stale Tootsie Roll, the outsides are ashy, and the bars have very obvious rings.
It does pass the zap test, and I am confident that the ingredients were correctly measured.
I'm hoping I can melt it down and re-mold...

Total oil weight 1
Water as percent of oil weight 38 %
Super Fat/Discount 5 %
Lye Concentration 25.597 %
Water : Lye Ratio 2.907:1
Sat : Unsat Ratio 25 : 75
Iodine 111
INS 82
Fragrance Ratio 0
Fragrance Weight 0 Oz

Ingredient Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.38 6.08 172.365
Lye - NaOH 0.131 2.092 59.298
# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Crisco, new w/palm 100 1 16 453.592
Totals 100 1 16 453.592
Hardness 29 - 54 25
Cleansing 12 - 22 0
Conditioning 44 - 69 74
Bubbly 14 - 46 0
Creamy 16 - 48 25
Iodine 41 - 70 111
INS 136 - 165 82
Lauric 0
Myristic 0
Palmitic 20
Stearic 5
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 28
Linoleic 40
Linolenic 6
thats what I got when I input the recipe in soap calc, so as far as numbers it looks like it was fine, I would cut it, and leave the cut bars to harden up for a while, Ive had a recipe that I almost through out that was almost like jello at first, I was very discouraged, but i was like aahhh. what the hey.. I leave it and see what happens... it dried all the way through and it was actually one of my favorite, and most mild soaps once cured fully....

you may have got a false trace, or partial gel like you said... if you are really unhappy, you can simply melt it all down in a double boiler and just pour it into a new mold.

next time, insulation would probably be good too... sounds like you troubleshooted properly and figured out what was up! :)...

looking forward to seeing some pics!!! and you r recipes to come! :)

let me know if i can help in any way! :)

Back