Can essential oils sweat out of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyRachel

Reaction score
So, I made a batch of cold process with avacado added at trace and a blend of grapefruit/orange/eucalytpus eo. I used a slight water discount to account for the avacado. It was at a heavy trace when I poured it. When I checked on it today to cut it, I found that it is a little oily on top? Maybe sweaty is a better word. It smells like the essential oils that I added. Its not a huge amount and I blotted it off with a towel. It went through gel phase fine. I did have it wrapped in a blanket and then took it off later. The room where I cure was about 70 degrees at the time so my other thought was condensation from when it cooled down? I figure at this point I'll let it ride but any thoughts??

It sounds like it slightly overheated, and would have probably absorbed back in. As long as it doesn't zap after a few days the soap will be fine.
However, I don't understand this part:
I used a slight water discount to account for the avacado.

A water discount and a higher fat content are not equal things. A water discount is just that, using less water. That has nothing to do with how much oil you use. How much oil being used is determined by the SAP value of the oil and how much oil will be saponified by the amount of lye used. If you used more oil than what is required to saponify, that is referred to as a "super fat".

Maybe if you let us know your recipe in weights, and your exact process others can come along and help you further.

I see your point as avacado is fatty. I used the method that I did based on what I read about adding avacado puree and the water content involved. This was suggested, so I tried it. I did not alter the oil amounts but subtracted my amount of puree added from my water content.

CO- 18oz
Avacado oil- 7.5oz
sweet almond- 10.8oz
grapeseed 8.4oz
shea butter 4.2oz
tucuma butter 4.8oz
jojoba oil 3oz
castor 3.3oz
lye 8.23oz
water 17.8oz
avacado puree 5oz
eo- 1.8oz

Also, probably superfat was too high. I used 7%, but you learn as ya go.

Thank you!!!

I see your point as avacado is fatt
HA I misread your original post. You added avocado puree, the fruit, not avocado oil...
7% is not too high, especially with coconut oil being at a higher % than the other oils.

With that I bet your soap just overheated a tiny bit and will be fine. Cut, then zap test after a couple days.

Latest posts

Back