Calling all log style cp soapmakers...I'd like your input !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sygrid

Reaction score
I am developing a line of wooden molds that come with a pop in liner. This will put an end to to fussing with paper, stretch wraps and parchment. What I would like is some feed back for sizes. I know what is available but I would like to produce some molds that maybe you have always wished for but no one makes.
Any size is possible so just let me know and I will produce them. Log style molds have suffered long enough, it's time to bring them into 2010 with an easy release.

Let me know and we'll get started :)

Lorie Martin

The process and formulation of the liners of course are proprietary but each liner will be custom fit to the size of the mold. Release will be almost instant with no need to dismantle the wooden mold. You won't have to take the mold apart either. This mold system will virtually last forever without swelling or distorting the wood as the batch will never touch it. The heavy liners pop in and out with ease and can last for years with continued proper use.

It's always been my focus to solve the problems that face soapmakers and one of the most vexxing has always been molds and the struggle to get the soap out of them. I'm excited with this project and really appreciate the feedback from the forum members :
Look forward to hearing from you,

Lorie Martin

I use this size: 3.25" wide x 2.75" deep x 9" long. I also do 18" long.

I have plenty of silicone logs that I like, but I'm fed up with sagging and other issues so if you have something better I'd consider it.

Are your liners rigid? if they are, can you give me the thickness of the material so I can see if they can drop into my current boxes (for which I have silicone liners)?

Is it possible to do a slab with dividers out of it?

carebear said:
I use this size: 3.25" wide x 2.75" deep x 9" long. I also do 18" long.

I have plenty of silicone logs that I like, but I'm fed up with sagging and other issues so if you have something better I'd consider it.

Yes, they are rigid and I agree, the silicone loaves although great for release, do flop and sag. We've done our initial testing and now it is time to decide on sizes. That's why your feedback is so important at this stage.

I'd love to do slabs with dividers and honestly, with the resources that we have here, anything is possible. I know there are dividers out there, so they must not be working well enough for you. If you tell me the problems you have with them, I can develop a system that addresses all the issues. Do the dividers stick to the soap and make a mess? Are they wood as well...I can see problems already.

I would like to develop several different lb weights so what lb /batch weights would you like to see. And, bar sizes , what oz weight would you like. Or, bar dimensions, what would you like to have? Let's make what you want. Please pm me the dimensional information.

I'm looking forward to hearing your wish list,

Lorie

The dividers are an issue for two reasons.
- the soap sticks to them unless you've "cured" them well which is a pain and isn't all that reliable (it takes time, repeated use, the right stuff, and if you wash them too aggressively you may need to start all over again but won't know until you find they are sticking!)
- the molds for dividers are not silicone molds, so even if the soap didn't stick to the dividers it can be challenging to get out of the mold. Now I believe Kelsi has a silicone mat that fits into the bottom of their newer molds to deal with this but I have not seen them in person. (yes, like the dividers the mold itself can 'cure', plus some can be lined with plastic wrap - but these fixes are not ideal).

Like I said, I have several molds and they are working for me. BUT my dream mold is one that requires no "fixes" - that I don't need to do anything but pour soap batter into and take soap bars out of. I don't want to line, to rub with precious ungents, to clip up to prevent sagging, etc.

I make smaller batches, so I like molds that hold 2, 3 and 4 lbs of soap. That way I can just use my wire soap cutter to cut the soap into bars.

i make 1lb batches and wouldn't mind one that small that doesn't require paper lining.

So the dividers are wood, porous and high maintenance.
Well, I already know what I can manufacture to resolve that issue, so consider that done. And there would be no need for matting on the bottom or sides, gone...finito. Make your batch, Pour it in and Pop it out.

So if I were to make several different sized slabs with dividers say from 2lb to 5 - 10lb how does that sound?

Would you still want the loaves? I could do a couple sizes for them as well.

I'm inspired.. :D

Lorie

sygrid said:
So the dividers are wood, porous and high maintenance.
Well, I already know what I can manufacture to resolve that issue, so consider that done. And there would be no need for matting on the bottom or sides, gone...finito. Make your batch, Pour it in and Pop it out.

So if I were to make several different sized slabs with dividers say from 2lb to 5 - 10lb how does that sound?

Would you still want the loaves? I could do a couple sizes for them as well.

I'm inspired.. :D

Lorie
no the dividers are HDPE

Let me think about the size of the bars I want. I have slab molds now so do I want the bars to be the same size as those? or to match my log mold bars? oh decisions decisions!

I find most soap molds make bars that are too large or too thick.

I would love to have a soap mold that makes a cured soap bar that it exactly the size of a 20-pack of Pall Mall Cigarettes (the cardbord box, not the softie). That should come in as 100g each when cured and I even like the shape of it.

That cigarette box really feels nice in my hand (size wise) and would be perfect for soap.

I love my molds. Got them from ebay. They are 3.5 wide, 3 high and 14" long. I really like 3.5 wide.

Latest posts

Back