Yay! No more parchment or freezer paper!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, HDPE stands for high-density polyethylene. Think of those thick white cutting boards you can buy at BB&B, many grocery stores, etc. It is sold in sheets at various places, including TAP Plastics in California, where it seems to be the most reasonably priced (surprisingly).

The Process of Making HDPE.: HDPE is made under controlled conditions by applying intense heat to petroleum. This process, also known as “cracking,” helps create ethylene gas. During its production, the gas molecules will attach to form polymers, which then produce polyethylene. (reference: https://www.scrantonproducts.com/how-is-hdpe-made/)

Silicone is actually not the silicon on the periodic table, but a synthetic polymer made up of silicon, oxygen and other elements, most typically carbon and hydrogen. Silicone is generally a liquid or a flexible, rubberlike plastic, and has a number of useful properties, such as low toxicity and high heat resistance. (reference: LiveScience.com)

Edit: removed unwanted attachment

Last edited:
I might have to clearify that I have a high Palm recipe AND I Gel, I also unmold and cut in less then 10 hours from pour.

That may be why mine sticks. I have found that lining is easier then using Mineral Oil and pray that you put enough oil on.

Well, I have certainly learned much from this thread. So many easier options to try with plastics and different ways of lining with freezer paper. Thanks for all the input.
I have to wonder if some of the problems with the HDPE molds aren't maybe caused by having the smooth side out instead of in. It was mentioned that one side was smooth and the other not. I have no HDPE liners so that's just a guess with no experience to base it. You're all probably too sharp to let that happen but it is something I would end up doing. Sillier errors will be revealed elsewhere at a later date. :)

Yes, the finish on HDPE plastic can be rough or smooth. It's up to the manufacturer which finish is on a particular piece. My cutting boards are all slightly rough. I'd have to take a closer look at the one HDPE mold I have, but if I remember correctly both sides are the same and are not 'interchangeable' in the way the mold is put together. (can't be turned around)

No, HDPE stands for high-density polyethylene. Think of those thick white cutting boards you can buy at BB&B, many grocery stores, etc. It is sold in sheets at various places, including TAP Plastics in California, where it seems to be the most reasonably priced (surprisingly).

The Process of Making HDPE.: HDPE is made under controlled conditions by applying intense heat to petroleum. This process, also known as “cracking,” helps create ethylene gas. During its production, the gas molecules will attach to form polymers, which then produce polyethylene. (reference: https://www.scrantonproducts.com/how-is-hdpe-made/)
Can't think off-hand which manufacturer here in California we purchased our HDPE from but it was even more reasonably priced than TAP Plastics. It is controlled and has to be since it is used in the food industry and in the Concrete Construction Industry. So it has to have standards. We supplied forms for the Concrete Concrete Industry. Many decorative freeway walls were our designs. Were, since we are retired from the industry

My hdpe molds are not the smooth hdpe and would have to stay in the mold until the soap starts to shrink away. I want to pull soap in less that hrs so I can line and use the molds again.

Latest posts

Back