Buttercream & Snickerdoodle from BB

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjuly

Reaction score
Just tried my free 1 oz. sample of Buttercream and Snickerdoodle from Brambleberry. Smelled out of this world. So I used a 1 lb veg soap recipe. Turned the soap an awfully bright yellow orange color immediately.

IMG_4487.jpg

It looks like a yummy butterscotch pudding to me. I used pink sugar the other day , it went gold, green and now a tan brown :( but it smells good.

Kitn

Well this morning it looks like burnt brown sugar. Hate it cause I tried a different recipe for my 2nd ever batch. Now I am unsure of what base recipe that I can use to experiment with color. Am so in love with everyones colors and I can't seem to get it together yet. Feel frustrated.

nickjuly, you're doing a great job. May I suggest you focus more on find the recipe you like first and don't worry about the color. Everytime I mess up the color, I ended up still liking it. It's weird how that happens. I wouldn't try to find a recipe specifically designed for testing colors because it won't do any good unless you continue to use that one.

You're doing fine. Take a deep breath, and wait for it to start curing. I bet it'll turn out nicely.

The soap I made this weekend didn't come out anywhere near what I was expecting, but I kinda like it. Sometimes it's fun just to see how things turn out. Take lots of notes in case people end up loving it. You may want to remember how to duplicate it. Believe it or not. :)

zeo

It's not your base recipe - but rather the color is a result of the presence of vanilla in your FO.

I hate to say this, but many FOs will change the color of your soap - even if there isn't vanilla in it, many fragrance materials have colors of their own. For example, never try to create a light lavender color in soap made with lemongrass EO... unless you like an odd-gray result.

Colorant experiments can be done with an FO that you know doesn't change color, or with an unscented batch - but for most reliable results you should really use the colorant matched with the FO you have in mind.

Color changes (aka discoloration) is usually mentioned for FOs and EOs listed on the Scent Review Board http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/ (yes, you must join to view)

Thanks all ! Am loving making soap just hate having the ugly soap when so much soap I see is so amazing looking. But baby steps. Have decided to make another batch small but maybe two lbs since one is so small and do it unscented with either my first or second recipe. But the good part is am pretty sure my first batch will feel good to use.

This board is so inspiring. Look forward to the end of July to use my new cured soap.

My hat goes off to all you amazing soapers. Thanks for the open sharing.

Latest posts

Back