Burned Fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what you mean by "dirt." This is the second time you've mentioned this. I asked you earlier --

"...I have to ask -- where is the dirt coming from? Is this fat from butchering the animal or are you rendering used cooking fat? If it's from butchering, try to work cleaner, if for no other reason than food safety. Fat from butchering will have some bits of meat or blood here and there -- that's unavoidable -- but it should be otherwise clean and sweet smelling. Store it in the freezer until you have enough to make it worthwhile to render. ..."

You still have not answered what you mean.

There should be no foreign material (dirt) in the raw fat from an animal that has been properly butchered. If you mean the connective tissue, small bits of meat, and trace blood that is naturally present in the raw fat, that is not "dirt."

Any rendering method will remove this material in raw fat. Some people use water. Some do not. It all works. Just don't overheat the fat.

If you are working with used cooking fat, you will also need to filter the fat to remove small bits of the cooked food. And you may need to wash the fat with water to remove color and odor.

Yes, I did. My apologies.

If it is really dirt -- as in soil from the earth -- then you'd want to filter.

Thank you DeeAnna and everyone helped me on this thread, I'll consider all the information was given to me. I had actually some hard time trying to post on this thread because I re-signed in many times after I had submitted the reply and I lost all of them, I may have missed something else.
Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back