Burgundy Rose

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Made my soap this morning with my new merlot mica. Had a bit of a accident with a lye volcano and wasted all my wine but thats ok. Scented with NG burgundy rose FO. Added a mica swirl just because and used my new mold.

2ns054z.jpg

12151ms.jpg

a unscented/uncolored bar from the same batch, just to see if my lard recipe has any odor after cure.
2ealcu8.jpg

Thank you:) I did manage to get a little wine in it but only about 1.5 ounces. If I would have been mixing my lye in a tall pitcher, I probably could have saved it. Lesson learned for next time.

It is starting to get a bit lighter as it sets up but is still a really nice wine color. I'm tempted to try CPOP, maybe that would brighten the color a bit but I'm afraid of overheating it.

With my beer soap I put in an 120*F oven and then turned the oven off and let it set in there for several hours. It didn't seem to overheat.

Obsidian, looks like your soap will turn out nice. Can't wait to see cut pics. Did you boil your wine first to boil off the alcohol then freeze it in cubes? I've read about the volcano potential with wine but I heard removing the alcohol and using it frozen reduces the chances.

I went ahead and CPOP at 170* and it went into complete gel pretty quickly. Its sitting on the counter cooling off now, it did darken back up and looks really nice.

I did boil the wine, reduced it's volume by about 1/2. I didn't freeze it though, just refrigerated. I've made beer soap before with no troubles. Not sure if the volcano was from the solution overheating or if some alcohol remained. The color change was very interesting though. I used white wine and it turned bright orange when I added the lye.

Thanks everyone, I just wish you all could smell it. I have the cut pictures and good reminder of why I stopped using a knife to free hand cut, things are crooked.

2eaqwkm.jpg

1zxp345.jpg

11kbl7d.jpg

35i6nug.jpg

I was using 100% cold white wine. Had the lye mixing container in a large bowl of ice in the sink, started adding the lye slowly and all was going well. It wasn't heating up or turning too dark, I got impatient and dumped all the lye in. It instantly bubbled up and out of the container into the bowl of ice. Washed the whole mess down the drain with cold water.

If I had to guess, I would say it bubbled up about 4 inches so a deep pitcher would have saved my wine. It turned bright carrot orange as it was bubbling.

I just had to start over with new lye and water. Glad I didn't infuse the wine with yellow dock root like I had planned.

Puuurrrtttyyyy! I am hopeless with the knife too. I am totally dependent to my cutter.

Latest posts

Back