Bumpy skin on my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraHoosier

Reaction score
So I've been using the CPOP this week and I've not used it before now. I read up on it and researched what to expect and I'm not worried that I'm necessarily "doping it wrong" but I noticed that the top and bottom of the soap in the silicone mold gets a leathery, bumpy texture to it.

My oven won't go below 170F and I haven't tried covering it while in there but I can't see covering it stopping the skin on that forms on the bottom of the soap. Is it overheating the soap (which is what I'm thinking) and cooking it?

Instead of cooking it for 1.5-2 hours should I just be preheating it to 170F, turning it off after the molds are heated, pour in soap then shut the door on it for 24 hours? Because I hate having to trim almost .5oz to get it looking like CP soap.

The top I can understand (but I've never used this method) but the bottoms have me stumped.
Maybe someone with experience will chime in.

I should think that pre-heating the oven then putting in your soap and turning it off would be all that's needed for the soap to gell and do its thing.

overheating most often causes issues on the top of soap (alligator skin), but I have seen issues on the bottom as well - so I'd start there. Your idea of preheating and turning off sounds like a good plan.

That's what I do, only I heat my oven to about 110 degreesF before turning it off and sticking my soap in there overnight (I soap on the warm side and use well-insulated wood molds with covers, so 110 is all it takes for me to get a complete gel).

IrishLass :)

Alien brains!

170F is probably just a bit too warm. If you oven allows, next time go with 150F. Otherwise, preheat oven and turn off when you put the soap in. Or you can keep an eye on it and turn the oven off when you have gel to the corners. Since you use a silicone mold, keep it in the oven to cool slowly and you will avoid having the sides contract. I've had mine contract when cooling too fast and the bars aren't perfectly straight/square... call me retentive.

Laura,
That's what I do. My oven also won't go below 170. But I preheate it while I'm mixing the lye into the oil, then turn it off right before I put the mold in. Haven't had any overheating problems yet and my soap has gelled nicely. I think the only drawback is you can't do cool tops with this method. The heat will mealt them I think.

Ok, I have had this for the first time too but... Only after I cut the bar and it didn't gel. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back