Body fat Tallow vs suet tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenpoopshoes

Reaction score
Ok, so a weird first post but I have some serious beef fat questions that I need answers to from the more experienced Tallow users.
The first Tallow I rendered was free muscle fat from the butcher. I wandered in, Tupperware tub in hand, and the butcher filled it up with fat scraps from his cutting table. I rendered this wet, over the stove, after chopping it to tiny pieces and then stick blending. It made the house smell like a roast dinner!
This first render produced a lump of minced meat scraps (which went to the chickens, who ate it in seconds flat), about a pint of beef gelatine and about another pint of smelly, solid Tallow that I didn't want to soap with.
I googled how to get the smell out and then went back to the kitchen to re-melt it in clean water a few times until it was less stinky (with experience I now know if I just kept doing this it would stop smelling altogether, but I was impatient so I just stopped when it was good enough)
I used this Tallow in two 500g batches of soap and I'm pretty happy with the results.
Then I started looking at Tallow in other skincare and got very interested in using suet (kidney fat) instead of muscle fat due to it's improved purity and other alleged benefits. I had to pay £4 for all the suet from the butcher's latest slaughter, but once it was wet rendered and washed I had over a litre and a half of hard, white suet Tallow.
Some of this I used to make a facial Balm which is astoundingly good. Some I used to make a whipped Tallow Balm with olive oil, which I won't make again because it smelled so strongly of olive oil and I've now read some research that strongly indicates problems with the use of olive oil on the skin. There are other, better oils for what I need, so it's no biggie.
I was going to use the remainder to make soap but good grief! The suet is as hard as glass and doesn't even melt when you hold it in your hand! It's great quality stuff for skincare and so hard that I can probably do without beeswax in my balms (the facial Balm is 75% suet with the rest being liquid oils and I have to scrape it up with a fingernail to use it!) but if I use a fat that hard what the heck will it do to my soaps?! Is it a waste to soap with it? I can happily render normal fat for soaping if so - it's free after all. Or is there any benefit to soaping with this rock-hard Tallow? I'm guessing it will make super long lasting bar...
I'd love to know if anyone else gets suet that solid or if I've done something weird to it and no one knows what the heck I'm on about...

@Chickenpoopshoes - First - WELCOME! This is a great forum! I hope you find it as beneficial as I have!
Second - I've only made 2 batches of soap with beef tallow. It was not rock hard, I did not render it myself, but I LOVE, love, love the soap! It's creamy and so far is the longest lasting soap that I've made (in the few short months that I've been soaping...).
I so respect that you render your own tallow! I bought mine! lol I hope that someone with more experience can answer your question better than I can - but I mostly wanted to say-welcome! (and I love your name!)

I'm trailing your experience by about 6 months! I just rendered my beef fat--all body fat and no kidney fat. I found this YouTube video with some information on the different types of beef fat but nothing else to tell me whether the body fat, for lack of a better term, is suitable for soap. So onward I go. I have a lot of soft tallow, white and only slightly odoriferous, that I'll turn into something this week. I'm trying to find more information about why beef fat is so hard to get in the states, and it seems to tie back to FDA regulations. I'll post what I find.

It's all suitable for soap. Honestly, it is. Harder beef fat is higher in palmitic and stearic acids -- the more saturated fatty acids -- and the softer fat has more oleic acid -- an unsaturated fatty acid. But no matter what, any of this fat will make lovely soap.

I can see seeking out kidney fat for cooking, pastries, cosmetics, etc. where the higher melting point of the fat will make a difference in the performance of the product. For soap, this is not nearly as critical because the melting point of the fat no longer applies when the fat is broken down and turned into soap.

Soap used to be made out of any and all kinds of fat ... some of which would appall the sensibilities of us modern day soap makers and turn our stomachs. We, on the other hand, have the luxury of using perfectly edible fats for our soap ... which would appall many housekeepers and soap makers of yore.

Latest posts

Back