Blotchy whipped body butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnermoon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've started to make whipped body butters last week, but there is one thing that isn't right.
The butters are blotchy, some more than others but of course I want them to be an equal color.

I'll show you a picture and list of ingredients;

Cocoa butter
Shea butter
Coconut butter
Sweet Almond Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Fragrance Oil
Cosmetic Mica
Vitamin E

imagejpg1_zps4f9d8ce5.jpg

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks.

What FO are you using? Have you used it before in anything else? A lot of FO/EOs will add colour to whatever you are making. I know when I use my 10x Orange EO I have to allow for the yellow/orange colour that it will cause.

My guess would be the mica? I've never used any kind of coloring in my butters but I've used the other ingredients with no problem. Is there any water at all?

Any chance the colored spot is thinner oil? I've had my body butter collect little oil pocket before and its usually a darker color. Only happens with warmer temps, whipping extra long seems to help it not separate.

Thanks for the responses!

This is the first time that I've used FO's and mica's.
I've tried different combinations and they all have blotches.
Even the one without mica shows a little, so it must be caused by the FO.
It looks like the FO is not blending in very well.
I'm using the ones from gracefruit, but only the ones that don't discolor.

Maybe I should change my working process?
Now, I first make and whip the butters, and add the mica and FO when it is already a whipped butter, then just whip it in.
Any suggestions what could mix the FO better with the butters?

Edit; no there's not any water in it

Edit2; Belinda I've tried to whip again but that's not working.

Last edited:
Have you tried adding the FOs and mica to the melted oils? I would think they would blend in much better before whipping.

Is you recipe off possibly? Not sure why you'd have separation but that's possibly it. Can you get a better picture?
Also.. if I were you.. I'd be putting a spoon or something in there very slowly and pulling some of that area out to examine it better. If you do.. snap a photo of the spoon and inside area. Or even layer off the top until you get to it and then spoon what you can?

Maybe you can see if my recipe is off?
This is how much I'm using;

Cocoa butter 100gr
Shea butter 100gr
Coconut butter 100gr
Sweet Almond Oil 50gr
Grapeseed Oil 50gr
Fragrance Oil 10ml
Cosmetic Mica just a pinch
Vitamin E 1 tsp

I will try to get some of the spots out later today.

I've found out what caused it.. When I scoop the body butter into the pet jars, I hold the jar in my hand. Because of that the jar is heated under my fingers and that's where the spots come out.

Back