Blending oxide colourants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robyns Nest Soap

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Robyn,

I did check the FAQ's before posting this and I couldn't find anything on it already in existance so am asking as a new thread...I am using oxides for colourants in CP soap, and lately they are not blending properly, even though they appear to be blended well as I am pouring, but when I am cutting they are leaving those ugly mottled marks in my soaps, I have not had this problem before...I have tried blending with base oils, water, and alcohol, I must admit I haven't tried glycerin yet, but as I have had success in the past using base oils, I don't get it! it is also happening with my TD, can anyone offer suggestions? thanks, Robyn :?

Fail.jpg

Last edited:
Try sifting them and spend extra time shaking and blending them to make sure they are fully incorperated. I'm not an expert with soap colorants, but I am a hairdresser and that's how we fix bleach when it starts being funky. :) Welcome to the forum btw!

Thanks, I haven't tried sifting I will do that :) it is driving me crazy, I have ruined two batches of soap because of it! I do mix them thoroughly with a small amount of base oils before blending with a stick blender in a larger amount, and they appear to be thoroughly mixed while the soap is still liquid, then I cut it and it looks a spackled effect through each colour, and now even the white :cry:

I use glycerine to mix my colorants and as I don't have a frother, I use a spoon and just make sure it is all well mixed before I add it to my batter. I have used oxides and micas and have not had a problem with doing this with a spoon and glycerin (I have limited experience still, but it has worked).

I sift my TD to eliminate the clumps and I use a mini whisk (electric from Brambleberry) to make sure the colours are blended in a base oil before adding my soap batter to it. I make sure to hand whisk the colour into the batter (I seldom use my stickblender as I want time to work) to get the colour throughout. I have had this happen but usually when I have had to add extra water to get the soap batter to thin down in order to do layering.

Quite frankly that looks to me to be TD crackle... but it does look nice even if it isn't what you wanted.

Quite frankly that looks to me to be TD crackle... but it does look nice even if it isn't what you wanted.

I was thinking it looked more like stearic streaks, but I can definitely see a bit of TD crackle as well.

Thanks everyone for responding...what is TD crackle?? I know what TD is...what is crackle?? I think I will buy a small whisk, thank you so much. :smile:

Back