Blend ratios and percentages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bohunk

Reaction score
I got my lavender (french) and rose geranium this week. The frankencense I've had. Can y'all all help me with the ratios of the three for a blend? This is for my facial creme and for me only.

I was thinking of 1% of the EO blend for my creme recipe. Is that in the right ballpark or can I go higher? I recall discussing using frankenscense as high as 3% in a creme formula and it being safe on another forum.

Any thoughts appreciated. I don't usually work with EOs. This is my first use of EOs in over 15 years.

Thanks

It would depend on the EO in question, but 3% sounds high to me. In most lotions/cremes I make I use between 0.5% and 1% EO, so I think your 1% would be in the right ballpark. You can check the safety recommendation, but also, just because 3% is safe, it does not mean you should always use that much -- I think especially for a face cream, that may be too fragrant. (Once I accidentally put in 1.5% instead of .75 and it was too strong as well as a bit oily. I learned that a little EO can go a long way in cremes.)
You can maybe try to add it gradually and stop when you like it?

One percent of the total weight of the recipe seems to be the norm. If you are making 8 oz of facial cream, then the total weight of the blend would be .08 oz.
I would probably divide the .08 oz by three, if you are using all three EOs for the blend. Each part would equal .026 oz. You could probably safely round this up to .03 oz per part.
For my part, I would use the rose geranium by itself first, to see how you like it. I have heard of lavender and frankincense blends. If I were making a blend of those two, I would probably do 2 parts frankincense and 1 part lavender. You can try putting a drop of each on a cotton ball, then seal the cotton ball in a baggie for a few hours, then open and just wave the opened bag under your nose to get an idea of how you like the scent.

Thanks for your alls help. It gives me a starting point. Yes I'm using all three in the blend. I've used all of them several years ago but never all together. From some reading I've done all three do play nicely together.

Latest posts

Back