Bittercreek North Vanilla Stabilizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
Hi all! I just wanted to post my results using BCN'S VS on a couple different WSP FOs. These soaps were made about a week ago. I'm actually pretty impressed by the results.
TOP, L to R: Sensual Amber (1.9%), Bourbon Vanilla (4%)
BOTTOM, L to R: Vanilla Oak (9%), White Pumpkin Puree (4.3%).

I'm actually very curious about the White Pumkin Puree. Are there other factors besides the vanilla content that causes the dark discoloration? I would have thought the Vanilla Oak would be the darkest...

Attachments

• 20180730_172503.jpg
    20180730_172503.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 52
Are there other factors besides the vanilla content that causes the dark discoloration
Definitely. Most of the time the stabilizer will work with those other components as well (in my experience) but not always.

I agree with shunt about BCN's VS longevity. I make pink sugar a lot, and use it a lot as a mixer, and we all know how dark that one gets, but with BCN's stabilizer, I can stave off any darkening for at least 9 months to a year, sometimes as long as 18 months before the edges will start to turn.
I have a bar that is about 9 years old? Maybe, I'd have to look, but only the edges turned dark, otherwise it's still the same color I made it back then. (yes, that's a pink sugar bar I'm talking about)

(Just looked it up, it was almost 7 years ago - it's this soap in this post - https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/peachy-pinkish-pink-sugar-soap.24475/
and, if I remember, I will take a pic of the actual soap I still have)

Hope it's ok, but I now have a question about BCN VS for those that have used it. Do you reduce any part of your recipe to account for the VS amount?
I used it last night for my first actual batch of soap. It volcanoed even though I put it in the freezer about 10 minutes after getting it in the mold. What poured out of the soap was a white, gel-like substance. Soap is not zapping, but I had to throw it out because it was covered in slime. Do you think this was the VS?

I have used it since April/May (maybe even since March?) and make no adjustments to my recipe. I used it in my 1% stearic acid recipe, which by itself heats up to completely gel without additional insulation and had no overheating issues (cracking or volcano). I'm inclined to think your issue is either the FO that you used caused it to heat up, or something else in the recipe caused it to heat up.

Side note: I have only had one soap so far that the stabilizer did not work for, BCN's Dragon Blood FO, that is already starting to turn brown.

Thanks for your feedback! It was a "heater" recipe, so I am not really surprised about the volcano itself....just wondering what separated and why only the gel/slime came out of the batch.

Hope it's ok, but I now have a question about BCN VS for those that have used it. Do you reduce any part of your recipe to account for the VS amount?
I used it last night for my first actual batch of soap. It volcanoed even though I put it in the freezer about 10 minutes after getting it in the mold. What poured out of the soap was a white, gel-like substance. Soap is not zapping, but I had to throw it out because it was covered in slime. Do you think this was the VS?
I've never adjusted my recipe, and don't find that the VS heats up my soap more than if it's not in there. I doubt this was the VS, but can't rule it out. You have never made soap before? Or never made soap with VS? If you have no baseline, it's hard to tell if it would have been the VS, or just your recipe in general.

Like the others, I never adjust my recipe with the stabilizer either. For what it's worth, I add the stabilizer to my warmed/melted oils (instead of adding it to the actual FO), just like jcandleattic taught me. I've never had any weird problems with it in all the years I've used it.

IrishLass :)

I've never adjusted my recipe, and don't find that the VS heats up my soap more than if it's not in there. I doubt this was the VS, but can't rule it out. You have never made soap before? Or never made soap with VS? If you have no baseline, it's hard to tell if it would have been the VS, or just your recipe in general.
This is the first time I've made a batch of soap using the VS (I've been soaping for about 1.5 yrs). The only time I had used it previously was with the testers in the first post....
Speaking of those testers, a couple of them that included the VS (3 of 4) started seeping. I put a little pressure on them, and an oily substance oozed out...not lye heavy and is not happening with the non-VS testers.
With the testers, I mixed the VS with the FO, but with the batch last night I mixed the VS with the oils before adding the lye solution.
Curious as to why this is happening to me....

This is the first time I've made a batch of soap using the VS (I've been soaping for about 1.5 yrs). The only time I had used it previously was with the testers in the first post....
Speaking of those testers, a couple of them that included the VS (3 of 4) started seeping. I put a little pressure on them, and an oily substance oozed out...not lye heavy and is not happening with the non-VS testers.
With the testers, I mixed the VS with the FO, but with the batch last night I mixed the VS with the oils before adding the lye solution.
Curious as to why this is happening to me....
I have no idea. I've been using BCN's VS going on at least 10 years now (probably longer) and have never experienced what you are describing. I mix mine with my oils, and never have that happen unless my soaps overheat, which is never a cause of the VS.

I have a thought that some FO's (or FO company formulations) don't play well with VS. I made soap with CC Nag Champa, which I have used before with no problems, and used CC stabilizer for CP in that batch. It oozes brown liquid even 6 months after cure. I haven't tried the Nag Champa with BCN VS yet to see if it was the crafters choice stabilizer that wasn't any good (my soaps still turned brown, possibly faster than when I don't use a stabilizer). Your comment about oozing sounds like what is happening with my Nag Champa bars, so I wonder if it is something in the FO itself that does not play well with the stabilizer, regardless of which stabilizer you use. I'm going to add a quick 4 bar test batch of Nag Champa with BCN stabilizer to my to do list tonight. I should know by weekend if I'm having the same result. If I do, then I guess it would be safe to say that VS doesn't work with all FO's - although it might work with the same/similar fragrance from another company.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my oozing Nag Champa bars.

I've not experienced that affect with using it either. I don't use 1:1 though. I probably do 1:2.

@shunt2011 can you clarify the ratio? FO to stabilizer or stabilizer to FO? (Sorry, don't mean to be specific but it would help troubleshooting a lot.) I believe that BCN recommends equal amounts of each.

I have a thought that some FO's (or FO company formulations) don't play well with VS. I made soap with CC Nag Champa, which I have used before with no problems, and used CC stabilizer for CP in that batch. It oozes brown liquid even 6 months after cure. I haven't tried the Nag Champa with BCN VS yet to see if it was the crafters choice stabilizer that wasn't any good (my soaps still turned brown, possibly faster than when I don't use a stabilizer). Your comment about oozing sounds like what is happening with my Nag Champa bars, so I wonder if it is something in the FO itself that does not play well with the stabilizer, regardless of which stabilizer you use. I'm going to add a quick 4 bar test batch of Nag Champa with BCN stabilizer to my to do list tonight. I should know by weekend if I'm having the same result. If I do, then I guess it would be safe to say that VS doesn't work with all FO's - although it might work with the same/similar fragrance from another company.

@shunt2011 can you clarify the ratio? FO to stabilizer or stabilizer to FO? (Sorry, don't mean to be specific but it would help troubleshooting a lot.) I believe that BCN recommends equal amounts of each.
I guess I should have been clearer......sorry. I use half the amount of stabilizer to FO. If I use 3 oz of FO, I use 1.5 oz of stabilizer. I'm still pretty much testing it as just started using it earlier this year by jcandleattic recommendation on another forum. So far so good.

I'm not sure what is going on. I use VS in every single batch I make regardless of vanilla content at a ratio of 1:1 or even more VS to FO ratio if the vanilla content is unusually high. Never have I ever had oozing or unstable bars. However, that is not to say that VS does well with all FO's as obviously I have not tried them all (even though it does feel that way after doing this for 15+ years! LOL) But with the many hundreds I have used with VS, this oozing has never happened to me. If it helps though, I do live in a very dry climate, where the average % of humidity on any given day doesn't usually exceed 18%. That might be part of it. ?? I just don't now.

I will say though that I have tried almost every other VS on the market and none compare (IMO) to BCN's. Almost every single other VS would not stop/delay/prevent - whatever, AT ALL the discoloration of a vanilla soap. They all turned by the end of, or very shortly after, the full cure. That has not been my experience with BCN's.

I really wish I could be of better help with all of y'all that are having problems with your VS soaps.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one to experience the oozing. I am also wondering if there is another FO ingredient that doesn't play well with the VS. I have only tried the VS with WSP FOs.
I might also do another test batch to see how the amount of VS used might affect the color and ooze factor. Lol

I am also wondering if there is another FO ingredient that doesn't play well with the VS. I have only tried the VS with WSP FOs.
This very well may be, as I have only used 1 WSP FO ever, and didn't like the scent, and really don't buy from them at all. (told you I haven't tried all the available FO's out there!! HA)
Even with their so-called "free" shipping, I can get better deals elsewhere, overall.

Back