Big success story

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reallyrita

Reaction score
I want to share this with everyone. I am sure I did not rediscover the wheel here...and maybe I am the last one to figure this out...anyway, here goes:

I have a ton of MilkyWay type molds from my M&P days. I still do make M&P on occasion, but I have been wanting to use these molds for CP for a long time now. I have used them, and I have experimented with different release methods.

My most successful method until NOW has been the addition of some sodium lactate to the recipe and using more hard oils,plus oiling the molds with mineral oil. Worked...kinda. Still had trouble getting a good impression from the molds and releasing cleanly. Added to my difficulties was the fact that I prefer to non gel those indy mold soaps...putting them in the fridge, etc. to stop gel.

I finally found the solution to my problem and I hope this will help some one else out there looking to use those little molds. I bought some dimethicone (DM350) which is used in making lotions and creams. By "oiling" the mold cavities with just a small amount of this stuff, I was able to pour at thin trace, put in freezer for a short time, then fridge for about 10 hours, then, (Get This!) just turn the molds upside down, light pressure on the back of the cavities and out they pop...gorgeous and perfect in detail. There is no evidence of the dimethicone on the soap and the mold cleaned up very easily.

I am using a relatively soft recipe and you know how long ungelled soaps take to harden up. The one precaution I took was to unmold directly onto the cure rack so I would not have to handle the still soft and sticky soap. I was doing the happy dance all around the rack and I now have done 3 batches...goatmilk, lard, swirl ITP and even no water discount. Yippee! It works, guys.

Now I know that food grade silicone should basically do the same thing but you usually have to spray that stuff and it could be hard to control the amount you put on the mold, plus breathing in the vapor, plus it is heavier, plus it is not meant to be eaten or even put on your skin.

I bought 8 ounces of this stuff and it is going to last me a looong time as I just dip my finger in it and smear it around in each cavity. Sorry for the long long story but I am so happy to have found a solution to this without having to change my recipes and I wanted to pass this along to all of you sitting on a supply of those cute little molds. I am sure there are other ways of achieving these results, but this will be the way I go from now on.

There ya go , you have to love it when you figure out a very cool tip that everyone can use :D Can't wait to see the pics .

Kitn

awesome, where do i get some? also, i use silicone and you dont have to spray with anything.

I got my dimethicone from Lotioncrafters. Silicone works too because actually dimethicone is a form of silicone itself. It is very light and has no odor or color and is meant to be used in hair and body and face products.
Do you have the food grade silicone ? I thought you could only get it in spray form. Good to know that it is available non spray as you don't want to be breathing in silicone! Should work exactly the same way. Soaps just slip right out with no evidence of dimethicone still on the soaps. Happy dance again.

SimplyE said:
Wonder if it would work on log molds???

Wouldn't that be something! Who's game to try tho? I imagine wooden molds would soak it up,to a degree.Maybe build up a nice coating over time? Don't THINK it'd work,but??? :?

Well, I don't think the dimethicone itself is going to work on the wood molds because it is very light weight. I think it would disappear into the wood without a trace because wood is so porous. Silicone spray might work better because it is denser. I have a wooden mold with a plastic type attached liner (one of the Tog reincarnations before the current ones). The side drops away but the soap doesn't. I have to hack it off the sides...basically I don't bother with that mold any more because it is also a generous leaker. You have got me thinking: if I coat the plastic liner stuff with dimethicone and pour at really thick trace I might be able to use this particular mold again. I'm getting a new Kelsie mold and the dimethicone should held me with that one until it gets seasoned. Bare wood? I don't think so....rats.... But I have enough MilkyWay molds to keep me busy for a long long time...more happy dancing...

Back