Best ratios for body butter?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

boondocker

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? Or does it vary by the buttes and oils used?

dixiedragon

Reaction score
It varies by the butters and oils and also by your location. I'm in Alabama - temps here in the summer are regularly over 95. My tube of experimental coconut oil and beeswax lipbalm is currently mush in the tube.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yep, it definitely varies. Generally, a good starting point is 70% butters to 30% oils, then tweak from there.

IrishLass :)

boondocker

Reaction score
I made one that was 75% butters and it wound up becoming too hard to get out of the jar.

How do you get it to be light and fluffy? The one that I had made w/o cocoa butter wound up deflating and the oils separated out of it.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The more oils you add the lighter it will be if you are whipping it with a mixer. My general percentage is 70/30 for my body butter. I also don't ship/sell it during the summer months as it melts so easily. I don't mind mine being a bit firm.

madison

Reaction score
Last winter I got a problem with my fingers so I changed my butter ratios form 80%-51% to make it easy to use my body butter. My final product was 51 butters to 44 oils and 5% additives, as soon as the weather started to warm up it became mushy but anyway nothing much left. Is this still called body butter?
Sorry boobdocker I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I thought maybe I don't need to start a new thread for little question.

Last edited:

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
It's going to depend on what consistency you want, and how hard your butters are. For me, I find the following is my loose starting place. If you were using only cocoa butter or sal butter, then more like 35-40% butter. Also If you aren't using coconut/babassu oil at all, then I'd say 70% butter, 30% oil.

50% butters
25% coconut oil/babassu oil
25% oil

Dixiedragon- if you're facing that kind of heat, you might have better luck with high melt coconut oil, high melt Shea butter, or adding butter EZ might help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts