Best Option, in a pre-made Castile base or Bulk ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oranget

Reaction score
Hi ! I'm new, and have a very simple starting goal: get some pre-made castile liquid, and learn a bit about adding fragrance oils. Not quite ready to make my own yet. Has anyone here had good or, not so good experiences with any of the following ? I'm looking for something much nicer the "Dr. B." and organic would be great.

thinking about: The Chemistry store, NDA, Bramble Berry, Jedwards, Bulk Apothecary.

If there are even better options, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Also... are Castile and Marseilles, similar , or the same ?

Thank You very much !

I've worked with NDA in the past and I can tell you that they are a stand-up operation and I would trust any of their products.

Hmm. They have a 100$ minimum, and this is just for me to experiment with. I may have to try another one. The NDA Ingredient list, looks a bit longer than some. Is there a 'true' or 'purist' Castile recipe, with like 3 ingredients, or is castile a pretty lose term ?

Thank You

Thanks Faith. That one looks very pure, but has an 8 hour cook time, which may exceed my interest at this point. ( i think I mainly want to add scents to things ) I'm so new at this, I didn't even know castile was available as a paste, very interesting, thanks !

Thanks Faith. That one looks very pure, but has an 8 hour cook time, which may exceed my interest at this point. ( i think I mainly want to add scents to things ) I'm so new at this, I didn't even know castile was available as a paste, very interesting, thanks !

Not sure we are talking about the same thing as the paste I am referring to is already cooked and just needs to be diluted into your liquid soap.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Castile-Liquid-Soap-Paste-P4846.aspx

Any soap paste can take a very long time to dilute properly and 8 hours is not unusual. If you do not want to dilute paste, then maybe try the liquid soap that is already diluted:
http://www.brambleberry.com/Natural-Castile-Liquid-Soap-Base-P4609.aspx

Last edited:
oh Faith, I read the directions, and thought they meant i had to stand there and stir and boil for 8 hours... which, you know, is of zero interest.But maybe I just boil the water, and then it sits, and dilutes ? i may have to call them, as that does look like a very nice product. Here is what it says,

"Directions for Diluting: To dilute your soap paste, we recommend using a large pot so your pot will be half full when you're done. When the water is boiling, add the paste and stir thoroughly. Keep in mind that this can take up to eight hours depending on how much paste you're diluting at one time. When the soap paste is fully dissolved it's ready to use. Let the liquid soap cool and add your fragrance or colorant (or both). Recommended dilution rate 4:1."

It looks like it has a wonderful economy to it, as well, if it makes so much.

Thanks Lindy, That Voyageur one looks nice too. I like the simple list of ingredients. I wonder why some of the castiles are so long, with coconut, sunflower etc, oils. I mean, I wonder if the extra ones are better, do something good, or are just cheaper than the Olive.

The difference is that one of them is a true castile (only olive oil) and the others are fake castile's. The ones with the additional oils are going to lather better and might suit your needs just as well.

Latest posts

Back