Beeswax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A look at the color change between filterings.

varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphpvAFKkx.jpg

Something I have noticed since starting this project is that
A. I LOVE beeswax in soap!!! 8)
B. The more I filter out the ick from the wax, the more flexible it gets. Even at room temp there is a huge difference from the crudely filtered and the finished wax. If I bend a bar that is crudely, or even filtered a couple more times, it will snap in two. I can't get it to a 90degree angle. In the last 2 or 3 filterings though......I can bend, or even roll up a bar. It can then be laid in the center of a clean filter and go through again.

varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphpRAsR2z.jpg

varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphp6Kua18.jpg

OR!!!!! If this senario may have, possibly played out in your kitchen.....you just might end up on the floor with a metal pot scrubber & Comet cleaner. Possibly. Maybe.

As someone who wouldn't really know about that... :roll: I can suggest that letting it set, then scraping it off tiles with a wooden spatula is not a bad way to go. :mrgreen:

I enjoy the process more than most would. My OCD is happy, happy when I pull out a light yellow bar that has absolutely no residue left at all. And if I have something come up, I just shut off the oven. No harm done.

And IF I ever were to spill any......I would let it harden before trying to cleanup. Messy business :)

I go to the thrift stores and purchase nylon curtain panels cheap.. I use these to filter my beeswax. I like them better than t-shirts which is what alot of beekeepers use. IF you wanted to, you could lighten your darker wax by pouring it into some type of shallow pan so you will have a thin piece not over 1/4 thick and then set it out in the sun for a few weeks. The sun will bleach it somewhat. But natural wax is supposed to be different colors, so that is okay too !

I have really enjoyed this thread. I can only imagine the satisfaction you are getting from filtering from the icky dark gunk in that pail to the beautiful yellow wax. So impressed! Thank you for sharing your journey with us....

AngelMomma said:
OR!!!!! If this senario may have, possibly played out in your kitchen.....you just might end up on the floor with a metal pot scrubber & Comet cleaner. Possibly. Maybe.

ClaraSuds said:
As someone who wouldn't really know about that... :roll: I can suggest that letting it set, then scraping it off tiles with a wooden spatula is not a bad way to go. :mrgreen:

I am not joking it went everywhere.....it was a large pot full of hot dirty liquid beeswax. I ended up redoing the kitchen walls as the oil from it had left stains on the paint work that I couldnt get off. That was three years ago and there is still small traces of it in places if you look closely.

Latest posts

Back