Beeswax in small glass jars hissing and crackling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My most recent beeswax candles have been crackling and hissing when lit. I use beeswax (various suppliers) and add some coconut oil and vanilla essential oil. they are in 4 ounce canning jars with hemp wicks. I think the essential oil I used in the latest batches is a new one for me, what is causing the crackling and hissing? I have never had that happen. any info is appreciated! I don't want to sell until I can make new batches that don't do this

I have never had this issue, but also do not add coconut oils or EOs into my beeswax candles and use cotton wicks.
So unless someone knows right off the bat how to correct the problem, it is time for some sleuthing.
Since you suspect the EO, make a test candle without the EO. See how it burns. If it still crackles and hisses, then make another test candle changing only one variable, etc; continue until you find the guilty party. If it turns out to be the EO, then that would be my take away - whenever I need to use a different EO, I will need to make a test candle first.
Like I said I don't add fragrance to my beeswax candles, because 100% beeswax will just not throw scent (except the scent of beeswax, which I have customers that love). But I do know with soy candles I always have to do test candles, even for new lots of the same kind of soy wax. Such a pain, but it beats making a bunch of candles I have to re-configure.

There is no such thing as vanilla essential oil, so whatever you have that is labeled as such... could be anything. If it is real, pure vanilla, it is likely an oleoresin dissolved in alcohol, or alcohol mixed with water. Since vanilla is not oil soluble, it will not blend into melted wax. The alcohol/water mixture in the vanilla is what is causing your candle to crackle and hiss.

And I second @Nona'sFarm regarding beeswax not throwing scent very well. It's really a waste to add any scent to it at all. Just let it be beeswax. If you want to get it to have good hot throw at all you have to blend it with a lot of something else, like paraffin, and at that point you might as well just go with straight paraffin because adding a little beeswax to paraffin is also a waste. There will be so little beeswax you won't be able to smell it anymore, just the fragrance you added, and that defeats the purpose of using beeswax in the first place.

Thank you Nona's and Quanta! Now making with just beeswax, simpler, smells great and no more hissing. Appreciate the feedback! Not quite sure why I added anything else except for some recipes I followed when I started making candles. Good to know on the vanilla "essential oil" too!

Latest posts

Back