beeswas vs. emulsifying wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
I've noticed some recipes for lotions, body butters, and whipped body butters call for one or the other.

Is one a substitute for the other? Can I use food grade parrafin instead?

I have beeswax and when I've used it in my whipped body butter it makes it really hard.

Opinions and advice is much appreciated :)

From what I've learned, you need either emulsifying wax or a beeswax/borax combo. Somehow the beeswax works with the borax to form an emulsifier. It's apparantly not as stable as the E-wax though.

For oil-in-water emulsions, such as lotions, creams, and most body butters, you want to use Emulsifying Wax. It is a pre-made blend of high and low HLB emulsifiers. A combination of Beeswax and Borax has been used for centuries in water-in-oil emulsions, such as cold creams. The combination of wax and salts creates a soap-like emulsion and can hold the oil and water together. These types of emulsions can be difficult to create and remain stable. I would recommend starting with E-wax and simple emulsions and going from there. HTH!

Latest posts

Back