Beer Soap - How Much Beer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last weekend I made my first batch of beer soap. I put a 12 oz bottle of Redhook Autumn Ale in a water bottle and left it in the fridge for a week to get it flat. Then I put it on the stove and boiled it down to just 1.5 ounces of beer syrup and added it to the batch at trace. It seemed like a tiny amount to add to a 70 oz. (about 2 kg) batch but it was concentrated. The batch heaved little bit in the first 24 hours, I presume due to the sugars in the beer syrup.

Those of you who boil your beer down, as I did, do you boil it down to a syrup? If so, how much beer syrup do you add per pound of oils?

When I make beer soap I use the beer as my total liquid. If it calls for 12oz of liquid that is how much beer I use. I pour the beer in a bowl the day before I use it to let it go flat at room temp. HTH

I boil it down to a syrup and start with as much beer as my recipe would call for as 100% of my liquids, then mix my lye solution using enough water to make up the difference that was lost during the boiling down process. The beer syrup gets added to my oils with my FO and so far it's worked well that way, no crazy lye solution volcanoes or skunky smells.

Beer as Liquid

Hmmm... If you're using the beer the day after it goes flat isn't there alcohol in the beer that ends up in your final bars? One of the main reasons I boiled the beer is to boil off the alcohol content. Or does alcohol evaporate out of the bars during the curing cycle?

Martin said:
When I make beer soap I use the beer as my total liquid. If it calls for 12oz of liquid that is how much beer I use. I pour the beer in a bowl the day before I use it to let it go flat at room temp. HTH
That's what I do as well.

I also use beer as my total liquid amount. I don't boil it down. I put it in a jar in the frig and leave it there for several days. I occasionally shake it to help it go flat. I haven't had any problems but maybe I've been lucky.

Hazel said:
I also use beer as my total liquid amount. I don't boil it down. I put it in a jar in the frig and leave it there for several days. I occasionally shake it to help it go flat. I haven't had any problems but maybe I've been lucky.

this is what i do too, and haven't had problems. maybe i'm lucky too :)

I put my beer in a gallon jug. I let my kiddos shake up the jugs whenever they feel like it :D . I stick mine in the freezer until I need it. Although, my freezer is in need of replacing, so maybe that's not the best place for it :) . I haven't had a problem with not boiling any alcohol yet :wink: .

i've only made one batch of beer soap and this is what i did [after researching a bit]...

i let mine set out for a few days in a container with a lid and i would shake it up a few times a day. i put it in the fridge a day before using and soaped it cold. i used beer as 100% liquid. here's a pic...

in the mold - no colorants used

beer_mold.jpg

unmolded the next day.

beer_out_mold1.jpg

i used sam adams octoberfest beer and was very pleased with the results. i will be making more beer batches. :)

TessV said:
I boil it down to a syrup and start with as much beer as my recipe would call for as 100% of my liquids, then mix my lye solution using enough water to make up the difference that was lost during the boiling down process. The beer syrup gets added to my oils with my FO and so far it's worked well that way, no crazy lye solution volcanoes or skunky smells.

Tess and Jarret - do you have to alter your recipes to account for the added beer at trace? Jarret - I know you said yours amounted to 1.5oz, so I'm curious how much yours amounted to, Tess.

I used WSP's Energizing Natural EO Aromatherapy Blend 605 (sweet orange & ginger) and the scent has really lasted. (I have one little bar left of the HP batch I did over 5 months ago.) I think some of this is due to using 1 oz ppo.

I'm really surprised that this scent has lasted since citrus based scents normally don't last.

I also scented a batch with lime EO and Mint Thyme EO. It smelled great but it got used up before I thought to hold a small bar back to see how well it held up over time.

Latest posts

Back