Beating Stearic Spots ??? ARGGH!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
I am sure that is what I have. I only just started getting these when using palm and PKO.

I figured I had not been melting my oils enough, so I melted them really well today, to 177 just to be sure. Those **** spots still seem to be there in my TOG log after peeking :oops: . WTH???? I combined oils and lye mix at 122 F. Too hot? I have been soaping RT, and wanted to kick it up a notch, so to speak.

I have searched everywhere, but can't seem to be able to find a definitive answer to this perplexing problem. I am the only one??? I used to have no problems with this, but now... :?

Hmmmm....Well, shoot! I'm stumped! The high temp didn't work? My stearic spots stopped appearing when I started soaping my batches with PKO at 120 degreesF instead of at room temp.

Are you using the kind of Palm oil that needs to be stirred very well before measuring it out to use, or are you using the 'no-stir' palm?

IrishLass

Wahoo! I just cut, and they are MUCH better than they have been! Lesson learned! :D

I have been using the Spectrum brand palm shortening from the grocery and PKO from Columbus. I have read about stirring, but forgot about that. Just received some palm from Columbus that does need melt and stir. Not sure on the PKO since I chunked it out of its jug.

Do you ALWAYS soap hotter when using these? Or after melting prior, can you soap cooler, RT?

Thanks!

steric

i have been using pko from soapers choice the 50# blocks. use 20-25% in rtcp and never had a problem as described. was thinking about a new recipe using palm...there are different grades then? some you have to stir? would you please enlighten me? i've never come accross this in discussion before!

thanks!

Re: steric

heartsong said:
i have been using pko from soapers choice the 50# blocks. use 20-25% in rtcp and never had a problem as described. was thinking about a new recipe using palm...there are different grades then? some you have to stir? would you please enlighten me? i've never come accross this in discussion before!

thanks!

The things I have read say that sometimes in the palm oils, the stearic acid can settle to the bottom or separate out of the oil, especially if it has melted/softened during shipping or storage. The reason you would melt and stir is to combine everything again.

I was unaware of this until I started having the stearic spots in my soaps and did research on it. I only just learned about this. I purchased the same type of PKO that you are talking about, smaller #. I did not melt and stir it.

I have been using palm from the grocery and just purchased palm from soapers choice, not realizing there was a difference. On the palm label from SC, it does say that it needs to be melted and stirred. I don't know about the PKO, but I think I am going to melt and stir that, just to be safe. Those spots are really annoying!

I am happy to hear that you are RTCP and having no problems. I finally just nuked the hell out of the oils to make sure they were all combined and stearic melted before adding the lye. :wink:

spots

i melt my oils the night before. then whip up a bit b4 i add lye, etc. the palm oil i've been using is like crisco. i've never had a problem. before the palm oil i used crisco. this restaraunt supply was going out of business and i took a chance on a 35# pail of it. it's turning out nicely so far.

this is what i am using now:

5% avacado
15% castor
20% palm
20% palm kernel
20% olive
15% coconut
5% steric acid

i use a 5% lye discount-i blend half herbal tea, water or aloe with the lye, cool, then blend well. the other half is canned goatsmilk or coconut with 1 tbsp powdered sugar or honey powder and 1 ounce veg glycerine, blended well.

i use the stardard setting for water-38%- i do not use a discount

then add f/oil and pour.

i make 5 pounds at a time. i do not whip a whole lot so my mix is pourable and after thumping tray on the counter a few times i get a smooth top. it usually takes about 10 minuted from start to finish.

it cuts like mild cheddar after 18-24 hrs.

soapcalc says:

45 hardness
22 cleansing
50 conditioning (but i know it's way more!)
36 bubbly LOTS!
36 creamy
155 ins

i think melting everything together the night before, and stirring it a few times while it cools may be why i dont get the steric acid spots.

what do you think?

That is interesting. I was melting my oils before hand, several hours between "life". I still had spots. I think it may be due to not melting the original palm and PKO. My palm that I have been using is like crisco, the Spectrum brand.

Your recipe is a hard recipe! I tend to use less PKO and coconut. My skin tends to dry out and get itchy if I use too much. I have some stearic acid, but have not yet played with that.

Thanks for your thoughts! I do believe I will have to experiment a bit! Just happy my last batch is spot free!

soap

i have sensitive, dry skin, and since i increased the castor oil, decreased the coconut and increased the pko, i find this a very emollient soap-even in hard water. my skin feels like i put on lotion after bathing and it feels like that all day. i think along with the goatsmilk i would guess the resulting total lye discount is running about 8%. the pko isnt as harsh as coconut. it really drops the INS numbers.

also, i think the extra vegetable glycerine increases emollience.

this is kind of a learn as you go hobby!

I have purchased both palm oil and palm kernal oil from Columbus foods. Yes, the melt and stir palm. First time using it I didn't melt and stir before before putting it in with the rest of my oils, the soap was a mess. 2nd time I soaped with it, I melted and stirred first, soap came out a little soft, but it's been hardening with time. Other than that I've been avoiding using it, but I am soaping with it tonight.

The palm kernal I got from there was great. It's like coconut oil, white and you have to scoop it out of the jug. It doesn't say anywhere that you have to melt and stir it, I never did and never had a problem with it.

pko

i noticed that they carry pko flakes. when i get thru this block, i will order the flakes. it takes a while to shave down 50 pounds! the palm is from a restaraunt supply that is going out of business-it doesnt say anything special on the label and has performed well so far, but if my next stuff has to be melted first, i dont know if i want to go through all that fuss, when i can go back to crisco since i only use 15-20% in my soaps.

Back