Beard Balm suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham

Reaction score
Hi, first ever post here. I’ve started making my own beard balms and I’m saving myself a fortune, however I want to make a balm with a really strong scent that lasts all day. I like Black Rebel Beard balms from the USA because they last for 12+ hours, and want to recreate a scented balm that last just as long.

My current recipe is;

1/2 Tbsp Mango Butter

1/2 Tbsp Beeswax

1 x 1/2 Tsp Shea Butter

1 x 1/2 Tsp Cocoa Butter

3 x 1/4 + 1 x 1/8 Tsp Jojoba oil

1/2 Tsp Avocado Oil

I’m adding around 20 drops of EO’s and this gives me 30ml of balm, however the scent isn’t lasting anywhere near as I’d like.

Does anyone have any idea what’s causing the scent to burn out so quickly? I’m using unrefined cocoa and Shea Butter both of which have a slightly strong smell by themselves. I’m thinking it could be them but I’m brand new to this so thought I’d ask the experts here. Any help you could give me is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Check the usage rate of your FO for your product and use a higher amount if acceptable. It varies from one FO to the next.

FO? Fragrance you mean? Is there a carrier oil or butter that could potentially extend the scent in the balm?

Also, get a scale and convert your recipe to weight amounts. This will help you determine the correct usage of FO (based on % of weight). I can't even figure out what "3 x 1/4 + 1 x 1/8 Tsp Jojoba oil" means... maybe 3/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp, or 7/8 tsp? You'll find weights in grams to be much easier as well as giving you a more reliable product from batch to batch, as volume measures will have over/under errors.

FO? Fragrance you mean?

Yes, FO means fragrance oil. EO means essential oil.

"... Is there a carrier oil or butter that could potentially extend the scent in the balm?..."

Nope, there isn't.

"...Does anyone have any idea what’s causing the scent to burn out so quickly?..."

You don't say what your scent is, so there's no way to give advice on why it's not lasting as long as you'd like.

Research the safe usage rates for your scents, whether FO or EO, and scent your product accordingly. Some are skin safe at high amounts and others aren't. In addition, some scents last a long time and others don't. You want a fragrance that is skin safe at relatively high dosages.

Look into the science and art of formulate perfumes as well, so you know why some scents last a long time and others don't.

Another thing to keep in mind is you don't want the scent to be so strong it leaves a heavily scented trail behind you. Have you asked others for feedback on your choice and amount of scent? What our noses say is fine and what works for others' noses can be two different things.

Yes, FO means fragrance oil. EO means essential oil.

"... Is there a carrier oil or butter that could potentially extend the scent in the balm?..."

Nope, there isn't.

"...Does anyone have any idea what’s causing the scent to burn out so quickly?..."

You don't say what your scent is, so there's no way to give advice on why it's not lasting as long as you'd like.

Research the safe usage rates for your scents, whether FO or EO, and scent your product accordingly. Some are skin safe at high amounts and others aren't. In addition, some scents last a long time and others don't. You want a fragrance that is skin safe at relatively high dosages.

Look into the science and art of formulate perfumes as well, so you know why some scents last a long time and others don't.

Another thing to keep in mind is you don't want the scent to be so strong it leaves a heavily scented trail behind you. Have you asked others for feedback on your choice and amount of scent? What our noses say is fine and what works for others' noses can be two different things.

I’ve got a group of volunteers who are trying some out for me. I’ve got a couple of different scent blends so each has a different on to try. But it sounds like I’ll have to invest in some books!

Do you think that it's possible that his nose just acclimates to the scent and so he stops smelling it DeeAnna?

He's going to have to answer that question. I know my nose acclimates, but that may not be how he's evaluating how long the scent lasts or how strong it is.

I’ve got a group of volunteers who are trying some out for me. I’ve got a couple of different scent blends so each has a different on to try. But it sounds like I’ll have to invest in some books!

Welcome Graham! Every fragrance is different. You should try different blends to see which one sticks around longer. You also could try unscented versions of those butters if you think it’s messing with the scent. In my opinion essential oils are best for those beard oils and balms. But that is just my preference. Additionally, my nose just doesn’t get it right anymore. Years of fragrance use had left me blind to the strength of most scents. People come in my house and always remark how nice it smells and I do not even notice. I’ll smell a bar of soap after a long cure and smell nothing and then someone will remark how great it smells. So who knows. Happy testing!!

Latest posts

Back